Subaru WRX Forum banner

Advice needed 07wrx

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
Hello! Ive been a member here for awhile but rarely post because it seems every question is answered for me already and is easily found by searching, as im sure this one is somewhere. I have an 07 wrx, power mods:
-cobb turboback (catted)
-P&L intake
-Spearco TMIC
-Perrin inlet
-walbro fuel pump
-protune by jorge P&L

The protune was before the spearco, inlet and fuel pump.
P&L now charges 450 per car for a tune, so now I have installed everything (car is garaged winters) and will be having it tuned again in the spring. Since the price for a tune has risen drastically since my last one, I want to get the best bang for my buck. Turbo is currently stock and tranny is still stock (until next year). What other misc. parts will help me out here? im seriously considering upgrading the turbo to a 16g but am open to other options as well. This is my first boosted car and have never messed with upgrading a turbo before. my goal was to get every supporting mod, that way I could do it if I wanted with no issues. So....
What other parts will benefit me with this setup?
What other turbos have you all had experiences with for the 2.5 (i would like to stay below $700)?
Thanks in advance....!Thumbs Up

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry, I am getting a BCS. Forgot to add that. I was talking to Jorge at P&L....I cant remember the brand off hand but, he is getting me the one he prefers to tune with. He said that the turbo is up to me (what I want out of the car). I drive it as a DD in the summer, except in the rain (not being anal, but I have another car so why get the rex dirty). I just want something that will be fun. I hate to put numbers on things but I was thinking maybe 320whp. I would like to get the car to that point..... lately I have been focused on tires/suspension. I also want it to be safe and reliable. It only has 25k thanks to being stored every winter but one. I just don't want to slap on a huge turbo and have the tranny blow out and not be able to enjoy the car this summer. I am getting married in May and cant afford the $4,500 STI tranny swap until next year. That being said, I do not shift the car hard. All the posts on here and nasioc about wrx 5spds have me paranoid I guess.
Glad the fuel injectors were brought up. What turbo can I safely run on my stock ones without going 100% on the IDCs? Remember this is an 07, im told that they are fairly large injectors. This is a question for my tuner I guess, but any insight is appreciated so I can start weighing my options. Perhaps I should just get my stockers reworked? Im looking for cost-effective, safe solutions that will yield the most gains. The turbo I was looking at is a EVO III.

#8 ·
EVO3 16G.... And get it ported/polished/coated while you're at it. I ran a prodrive 3port and had no problems with it. Get your intake manifold P/P/C as well.... Phenolic spacers.... TGV deletes.

#9 ·
I assume GS does all of the p/p/c? Are there any how-tos on nasioc or anywhere else that gives instructions for removing the manifold/TGV delete install? What thickness phenolic spacers should I go with? Im mechanically handy, but im used to my 71 olds 442 with a 455 that I can literally sit next to and work on lol. These newer cars are a PITA to work on. Even the exhaust was a bear to do by myself.

#11 ·
^^True. Call Gordon at Witchunter for modded ones.

GS does all the porting you will need.

If you get the spacers... get the 8MM. KStech has a TGV delete kit and makes spacers as well (9mm) But if GS is going to do the porting, make sure they port match the IM for the spacers and TGV's.

I haven't seen a how-to anywhere. I did it all in about 8-9 hours (1st timer). So it's a Saturday AM thing for sure.

There is also a buddy of mine on nasioc and IWSTi that does p/p/c under the name Engaged Performance (Michael Hughes). He did my EVO3 and IM.

Again, do it all in one sitting. After you finish, you won't want to do it anytime soon afterwards. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.