In addition to stage 2... - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Meth injection is risky business and only a temporary fix of power. But to each his own....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

04blusrt_4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Meth injection is risky business and only a temporary fix of power. But to each his own....
Its only as risky as the tune and concentration you run, anything over 50/50 you need some failsafes. Plenty of ways to detune the car if your meth fails. All of which still make it more cost effective than a grand for a tmic. Its only temporary if you stop filling your tank.

You could even run straight water through the system and create the identical effect as the tmic and it would require 0 tuning, since the water doesn't burn and doesnt effect your AFR. You could extract more power with a tune, but it wouldn't be necessary right off the bat.
#33 Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Meth isn't riskay on 50/50.... Actually helps your car.... temps and all. Get's a little expensive if you set the psi too low.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#34 Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WLKONH20 is an unknown
Noob here... Meth? whats that?
#35 Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

04blusrt_4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLKONH20 View Post
Noob here... Meth? whats that?
Meth = methanol

Its an injection system whereby you spray fuel (methanol, alchohol) and water mixed together into the post-turbo track of the intake. It aids in cooling the air charge, thereby allowing a densor, cooler charge of air increasing the knock threshold (ie more boost and timing before knock starts). The methanol also is around 118 octane and helps bump up the octane of your overall fuel mixture.

Tons of different setups and you have the option how strong of a mix to run. As I mentioned, you can run straight water all the way to straight alky, its your choice and your preference. People have even started to add nitro to the mix for an even more potent mix, tho that is just crazy.

Risk is if your nozzle clogs, pump stops working, or the tank runs dry, you car is tuned to rely on the mix and will be potentially dangerously lean, too high of timing, and too high of boost to run without it. However, in moderation you can run methanol and water safely, even if it quits on you.
#36 Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
If I wanted to take it to stage 3 looking for about 280whp, I would have to get a new turbo. I've been looking around and from what I can gather, the VF30, 34, etc are the IHI Subaru turbos that come from different STi/WRX model years. The most popular (and cost effective) thirdparty turbo seems to be a 16g. What is the difference between going with a Subaru turbo charger like VF series as opposed to a 16g (Bloush, I believe)? Plus, on the websites I looked at, the 16g is cheaper and is capable of making more power...
#37 Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
IHI turbos are pricier, that I dont know why though. And one of the biggest differences is that the IHIs arent rebuidable if I remember, or not as cost effective to rebuild where as the Blouch turbos are rebuidable, and of course cheaper. Im running one of their TDO6-20Gs, great turbo, great quality.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"