In addition to stage 2... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
In addition to stage 2...

Currently I have a Stage 2 (turboxs TBE, CobbAP) 2006 WRX. However, I'm looking to do a few more mods to it before making a possible jump to stage 3. In addition to stage 2, what other mods would be recommended to improve performance (and maybe even engine life if possible). I was thinking about smaller things like a Cobb transmission mount, a perrin y pipe hose kit (is this only needed if you get a new TMIC, or does it help with stock as well?), and a perrin lightweight pulley. However, I was curious if any of these mods hurt the life or reliablity of your car and how much they really add to the performance of the car. Any information to help in this decision would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
an intercooler or a external wastegate would help performance, but you would need a tune for both of thise to feel any power
#3 Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
i have turbo xs tmic with y pipe and feels maybe bit quicker but its not tuned for it so not much gains but i got for $400 from a friend so i figured why not:P
#4 Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Does the y-pipe alone do anything significant with a stock TMIC? Also how about the perrin pulley, (effects on engine life?)
#5 Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
im in the same position your in right now. just got a protuned stage 2 setup on my wrx. next thing ima do is get a larger TMIC. the turboxs(or any after market tmic) hoses and the intercooler are much larger over the stock and will provide a better cold air charge. but u gota tune for it so u can feel the effects, as for the pulley, less rotation mass = few more poneys. just make sure its installed properly. if your worried about engine life and longevity dont beat your car and stomp on it all the time. do all the proper maintenance and you should be fine. if you take care of it, it will take care of you
#6 Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

ajtoce is more helpful than not
i recently installed my perrin crank pulley (which is a real pain to install on an 08), and it really didnt do anything for me. i have a perrin tmic waiting for me when i get home though so im anxious to put that on!

God is love
#7 Old 06-13-2009, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
There are a lot of things that you can do to improve the gains for stage 2 that will set you up for the next step up to a bigger turbo.

Turbo Inlet
Bigger TMIC with better Y-pipe
TGV Deletes
Phenolic IM Spacers
P&P Exhaust Manifolds and UP/Header
3 Port Boost Control Solenoid
Bigger Injectors (Not needed for Stage 2 but you will need them for a bigger turbo)
Fuel Pump

Happy Modding!

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.

Last edited by Kjott21; 06-13-2009 at 03:30 PM.
#8 Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
or a 3 port BCS/w a protune.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#9 Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
There are a lot of things that you can do to improve the gains for stage 2 that will set you up for the next step up to a bigger turbo.

Turbo Inlet
Bigger TMIC with better Y-pipe
TGV Deletes
Phenolic IM Spacers
P&P Exhaust Manifolds and UP/Header
3 Port Boost Control Solenoid
Bigger Injectors (Not needed for Stage 2 but you will need them for a bigger turbo)

Happy Modding!
wow, I don't even know about half of those, clearly I need to do some more research. However, just to narrow it down a little, which of these mods do you think provide the greatest "bang for your buck" in terms of performance as opposed to just being a good setup item for stage 3. As far as I'm gathering, a bigger TMIC and Y-pipe seems to be pretty common with decent performance gains even with the stock turbo.
#10 Old 06-13-2009, 11:09 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Most all of those above mods need some type of tune with them to realize a gain from them.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Yeah I've heard that from a lot of people. A tune essentially replaces the generic stage 2 mapping from my Cobb AP and customizes the engine management ecu to preform with the upgraded parts I put in it, correct? Just out of curiousity, how much does a tune cost?
#12 Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The Cobb OTS maps are generic and meant to work with all cars. But each car reacts different to mods put on it. So tuning or tweaking the stage 2 map maximizes your cars potential. A tune with the AP varies on your tuner usually. Mine charges anywhere from 400-700 dollars for a tune using the AP.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.V View Post
wow, I don't even know about half of those, clearly I need to do some more research. However, just to narrow it down a little, which of these mods do you think provide the greatest "bang for your buck" in terms of performance as opposed to just being a good setup item for stage 3. As far as I'm gathering, a bigger TMIC and Y-pipe seems to be pretty common with decent performance gains even with the stock turbo.
Best bang for your buck with stage 2 is going to be a bigger TMIC and a BCS with a tune.

#14 Old 06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
Best bang for your buck with stage 2 is going to be a bigger TMIC and a BCS with a tune.
Ok, so the bigger TMIC, BCS, and tune kind of go together as "the next step" after stage 2, but before stage 3 (I know there are numerous combination beyond this). But with these 3 additions (about $1200-$1300 total?) what kind of HP gains would be realized?

I guess I'm a little skeptical to go too far over stage 2 since my WRX is my daily driver and kind of don't want to get any worse gas mileage. But some small mods to kinds of add a few extra HP is what im going for
#15 Old 06-13-2009, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.V View Post
Ok, so the bigger TMIC, BCS, and tune kind of go together as "the next step" after stage 2, but before stage 3 (I know there are numerous combination beyond this). But with these 3 additions (about $1200-$1300 total?) what kind of HP gains would be realized?

I guess I'm a little skeptical to go too far over stage 2 since my WRX is my daily driver and kind of don't want to get any worse gas mileage. But some small mods to kinds of add a few extra HP is what im going for
Gas mileage depends on how you control your right foot. I know a guy with a built motor and a GT35r that gets like 27mpg on the highway. That mileage drops when he is beating on it though.

Typical protuned Stage 2 2006 WRX's make about 250whp and 300 ft/lbs of torque on 93 oct. The stock TMIC on the 06 WRX's is TINY. You will probably make a little more power because of the colder air and better flow. The BCS doesn't make power but helps you to spool faster and control boost better.

Aftermarket Boost Control Solenoids

The biggest gain is going to come from the protune. The difference between the OTS map and the protuned map is night and day.