About to pull the trigger on my first Subaru - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AWDfreek is an unknown
About to pull the trigger on my first Subaru

Hello newbie here,

Just needed to know your guys expert advise. Please any advise would help. The ad expired so i cant show you the link but Its a

2006 wrx
64k miles
30k in mods (he says it will beat out a stage 2 STi)
i dont know to much about subaru mods

THE BAD: (what the seller said)
Engine problem is cylinder 2 and 4 are showing poor compression. Leakdown indicated that one or both likely have damaged ringlands and the head gasket will likely need to be replaced. The heads should be in good condition as the valve guides were replaced and valves were adjusted only a little over a year ago. Leakdown didn't seem to suggest any issues with the heads, nor did it indicate that the passenger side bank had any issues, but its tough to know for sure what is going on inside the motor before disassembling it.

Should i just rebuild the engine? how much would a shop charge me for this? Should i just pass? Biggest question of all: If i decide on the rebuild...WHAT IS MY RESALE VALUE? HOWMUCH WOULD YOU PAY(IF YOU HAD THE MONEY).

THAKS FOR YOUR TIME GUYS AND SORRY FOR BORING YA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
take your finger off the trigger...there's no need to ruin your life...satisfaction and hope can be found in other opportunities.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #3 of 21 Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AWDfreek is an unknown
not even if i can get it for 9k?
post #4 of 21 Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

spc2125 is an unknown
Im in the same boat as you in terms of about to buy a subie. Ive posted mutiple....MULTIPLE cars and asked what they thought about them and the consensus is that you should NOT buy a modded car!
Think about it. How do you know how well it was all put together? And if you buy it and it craps the next day.... its NOT covered under the LEMON LAW because it wasnt installed by a professional therefore your buying at your own risk.

I know right now your probably ecstatic about buying such a sweet car and you'll probably lose sleep thinking about the car your going to get (atleast for me I did). Anyways, search around for a CLEAN car with lowish miles. Then once you find one you like, theres a thread thats stickied about buying used cars and what you should look for.

Happy hunting!!
Goodluck!
post #5 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you want to dump all your money into someone elses problems, than by all means.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #6 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

!!MAD_MAX!! is an unknown
Here's a way to look at it.....If your willing to buy a car just to have it sit, pull the trigger. You will spend at the very least 3-9K to fix it right. So a fresh unmolested 06 for 16-18K or take on the blown mystery box for 9K. Either choice it is your to live with. One thing you will know is that after a proper fix you will have a sound engine. Me I love fixing stuff up, so it's a move I'd make. On the other hand, you can easily get into trouble by falling out of love with such a task.

Now, here's the big ? If it's such a "DEAL," why is it still around for sale? REAL DEALS DON'T ALLOW YOU TIME TO THINK, JUST DO!
post #7 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreek View Post
30k in mods (he says it will beat out a stage 2 STi)
Normally I'd say if you can get a good deal on it and you know what you're getting yourself into then do it.

However, 30k in mods and his statement is it will beat a stage II STI? For a $26k car and $30k in mods you better be a lot faster than than an STi with a downpipe and tune aka $32k car with $1,500 in mods. Plus $30k in mods is basically a track car at this point.

Either:

A: He is full of shit, so walk away
B: Get a full list of mods on the car and post them up so we can offer a bit more advice. Also, pics of the car inside/outside/under/engine bay would help.

-Chris
post #8 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Normally I'd say if you can get a good deal on it and you know what you're getting yourself into then do it.

However, 30k in mods and his statement is it will beat a stage II STI? For a $26k car and $30k in mods you better be a lot faster than than an STi with a downpipe and tune aka $32k car with $1,500 in mods. Plus $30k in mods is basically a track car at this point.

Either:

A: He is full of shit, so walk away
B: Get a full list of mods on the car and post them up so we can offer a bit more advice. Also, pics of the car inside/outside/under/engine bay would help.
Exactly my thoughts. 30k will get you into the 500 HP range with all suspension done to support that much power. I vote that the seller is an idiot. Steer clear.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Exactly my thoughts. 30k will get you into the 500 HP range with all suspension done to support that much power
Go post this statement in IWSTI and watch the sky fall around you. I recently told someone his desired 600 whp on a $9k budget was unrealistic and some fool came in and said he got 400 whp on $2.5k and could easily get a good 500 whp setup for $9k. And everyone else jumped behind his statements and told me I have no idea what I'm doing and that I shouldn't be modding Subaurs. IWSTI keeps to its namesake. !Laugh!

I think the OP meant $3k in mods.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had almost 8K and I didn't even touch the motor internals or gears on my 07wrx......

I'm with you Justin

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Go post this statement in IWSTI and watch the sky fall around you. I recently told someone his desired 600 whp on a $9k budget was unrealistic and some fool came in and said he got 400 whp on $2.5k and could easily get a good 500 whp setup for $9k. And everyone else jumped behind his statements and told me I have no idea what I'm doing and that I shouldn't be modding Subaurs. IWSTI keeps to its namesake. !Laugh!

I think the OP meant $3k in mods.
If they can do that on $9k, then they better let us know what they're smoking.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
If they can do that on $9k, then they better let us know what they're smoking.
On the contrary, at least 2 of them actually said that I smoked crack before posting.

Crack is whack.

Anyways, what's the mod list on this $30k in parts, stage 2 STI beating WRX?
post #13 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have almosst $17k in my car, and am around 350AWHP. Thats with built tranny, 20G and supporting mods, and stock block/struts/springs (and counting the 3 sets of rims I have gone thru). So if he had a BA motorbuild with a poorly matched turbo, its possible. But it is a sad statement to say I spent $30k and can only beat up on stg2 STIs.

As far as buying a bum car/someone else car; dont do it if its your first subaru. Now if you dont need this car, and want a project, I still wouldnt pay $9k for it, but it could be worth a decent effort for a project car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I was $10k in while still stage 2. I'm currently $35k worth of parts in and on the dyno I'll be on on Thursday I'll be making less than 400. I told a guy asking how he can beat his friends supercharged/turbocharged 700 whp Camaros and Mustangs that his $9k budget was basically the bare minimum for 400 on his brand new STI, which is what set off the members over there.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AWDfreek is an unknown
OK SO I HAVE WHAT YOU ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...HERE IS THE LIST OF THE MODS AND WHAT HE HAD TO SAY. maybe it was only 3k in mods

EVO III Big 16G Turbo
DeatschWerks 650cc Fuel Injectors
Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
Helix Top Mount Intercooler
Cobb Short Ram Intake
Perrin AFTA-MAF
Helix Catted Downpipe
Borla Hush Catback
Cobb AP V2.0
Protune (of course)
NGK 1 Step Colder Iridium Spark Plugs
Whiteline 24mm Adjustable Front Swaybar
Whiteline 27mm Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Front and Rear Endlinks
STI Struts
Tanabe GF210 Springs
Cobb Heatshield
Kartboy short shifter

I don't have my dyno readings anymore, but I can tell you about what they are. On a dynamometer which reads 230hp stock WRXs at 160awhp and 300hp stock STIs at 220awhp this car dynoed 255awhp with a VF39 turbo and stock 565cc injectors. This equates to about 340-350hp (by manufacturers ratings). With the new turbo (EVOIII BIG 16G) and injectors ( DeatschWerks 650cc) it put down a bit more, but I cant remember the numbers off the top of my head. It probably gained another 10-20awhp, leaving it around 265-275awhp, equating to 360-375hp (mfg ratings). I might be able to find my old dyno, with the 255awhp and VF39 turbo, but I know for a fact that I lost my most recent one.

To reiterate, this car is fast, and done right it will dominate most competition. I've autocrossed the vehicle against heavily modified Porsches and come out victorious. I very carefully chose each of my suspension components, unlike some people who throw whatever comes their way on the car and end up with a handling nightmare. As a result the stock behavior of significant understeer now gives way to a slight oversteer tendency, which is far more desirable in racing situations and helps bring the back end around under heavy cornering while maintaining good, controllable steering