30k service - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here is the official Maintenance document.

Interval: 30,000 miles / 30 month service

Action Description
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

I'm guessing that they only changed the fluids for you b/c you called them out on it.

One thing I'm very curious about is they quoted me $100 to change the fuel filter. Then when it came time to do it they told me that they just leave them alone on the 04+ Imprezas b/c it's in the gas tank. Then they told me that this maintenance document was simply carried over from the 02 model year.

Anybody else run into this?

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Each dealer does stuff differently. My attached photo on the 1st page. Clearly states my dealer replaces the fluids, they don't just inspect it.

As far as the fuel filter, I don't believe they changed mine either time. But, I'm not sure.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #33 of 42 Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Mine changes the diff/tranny fluids on 30k services, and my service manual say to do this also. The manual also says fuel filter every 60k.
post #34 of 42 Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

k_rhayes is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Good deal. Let us know how it goes and feels after the change. My car always seems to move a little bit smoother down the road.
Ok i have my appt to drop off my car at 8am. Its gonna cost me about $490 for these fluid changes:

Tranny
Coolent
Brake
Rear Diff
Transfer Case
Oil

The cool thing is cause i am spending $400 they are giving me a free loaner car.

As soon as i get my car back and take her for a spin i will report back on how it feels!!!

Right now i am noticing that my gears are sticking slightly occassionally when shifting, so hoping the fluid change will fix this.

Need More Power
post #35 of 42 Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
That price sounds closer to what I paid. I'm sure she'll run a lot smoother after the fluids are changed.

Kirt
post #36 of 42 Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

k_rhayes is an unknown
Ok, did my service on Wednesday. Total cost was $525. Everything mentioned above was completed on my car and the oil change was with synthetic oil. They also did some minor inspections on my break pads and some hoses and belts.

For anyone who is not sure about doing this 30k service, take it from me it is worth every penny.

First thing i noticed is shifting. WOW it is sooooo much smoother then before. No sticking at all and its so easy for it to go in to gear.

Second thing i noticed, and it could be completely in my head, but i swear i feel just a bit faster. Not sure if there is even any logical explenation for this and again it could be in my head but it does feel faster.

Third thing is just how smooth my ride is again. I feel almost like i am rolling better with less vibration in the car.

Overall i am extremely satisfied with the service that i recieved and will make sure that i will do this again at 60k!!!

Thank you everyone for the comments and help in this thread!!!

Need More Power
post #37 of 42 Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LOL, its in your head. Everything is just rolling with fresh fluids. So, if you mean faster with clean fluids vs driving on dirty fluids. Then yes...faster than that. It is a great feeling when you can tell its moving easier down the road.

Kirt
post #38 of 42 Old 04-01-2010, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Hey gang. I'm about ready for this service myself, and my local dealer wants $600 for it. I think this sounds high, but haven't contacted any other dealerships yet. I wanted to ask about synthetic motor oil and brake fluid. The same dealership told me that some WRXs burn the synthetic and to stick with conventional, but it seems most of you like the synthetic and I haven't read too many problem posts regarding burning. Should I just buy the oil myself and ask them to put it in? Even then, how do I know that they put it in instead of keeping it and running what they usually put in?

EDIT: I am running stage 1 on my car now (2 comes after this), and wonder if I should flash it back to stock or leave it. I have the AP, so it's not a problem to switch the mapping, but I'd rather just leave it.

Last edited by new 'bru; 04-01-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: additional question
post #39 of 42 Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You don't need synthetic, I've always run conventional oil. I do run synthentic gear oil b/c my tuner recommended it and it wasn't much more. I think the folks that have trouble with synthetic are running the wrong weight.

Not sure about the price. I did each piece a la carte and saved money that way. Prices are listed in earlier posts.

You don't need to reflash. They won't notice and don't care.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #40 of 42 Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Update:
According to my local dealership, this is a "service D" (30,000 miles):
*engine tune-up *replace non-platinum spark plugs (platinum at 60,000) *replace engine air filter and elements * perform fuel induction service * check and set engine timing; check advance operation * check and set engine idle speed * inspect vapor and fuel lines *replace coolant and change thermostat *replace engine oil and filter *service manual transmission * service differential *clean battery terminals; top off electrolyte level * inspect and adjust engine drive belts *install BG fuel and oil treatments *sample, inspect and top off all fluids *scope engine and test emission level *inspect tires for correct wear; adjust pressures *rotate and balance tires and wheels *check A/C operation and vent temperature *inspect brakes; clean and adjust as needed *inspect steering gear and linkage *inspect drive axle boots and suspension components *inspect exhaust and heat shields *inspect brake fluid lines, hoses and parking brake cable *lube chassis, hinges and locks as needed *adjust clutch *road test. Does this sound right to everyone, and worth $600?
post #41 of 42 Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's worth $600 if you don't want to or can't do the labor yourself. If you can do everything yourself, you could do it for several hundred bucks less - even if you use top of the line stuff. But as far as the price quote, it's right about where it should be.

John
07 WRX
post #42 of 42 Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 'bru View Post
Update:
According to my local dealership, this is a "service D" (30,000 miles):
*engine tune-up *replace non-platinum spark plugs (platinum at 60,000) *replace engine air filter and elements * perform fuel induction service * check and set engine timing; check advance operation * check and set engine idle speed * inspect vapor and fuel lines *replace coolant and change thermostat *replace engine oil and filter *service manual transmission * service differential *clean battery terminals; top off electrolyte level * inspect and adjust engine drive belts *install BG fuel and oil treatments *sample, inspect and top off all fluids *scope engine and test emission level *inspect tires for correct wear; adjust pressures *rotate and balance tires and wheels *check A/C operation and vent temperature *inspect brakes; clean and adjust as needed *inspect steering gear and linkage *inspect drive axle boots and suspension components *inspect exhaust and heat shields *inspect brake fluid lines, hoses and parking brake cable *lube chassis, hinges and locks as needed *adjust clutch *road test. Does this sound right to everyone, and worth $600?
Honestly that sounds like a lot of stuff they won't do. I mean, "inspect exhaust", just get the important fluids changed. I'd be shocked if they cleaned the battery terminals and lubed the doors.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement