Subaru WRX Forum banner

30k service

19K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  blk05WRX 
#1 ·
Don't know if anyone else has done this lately or not. But, I just got my ride back from Subaru and man does she feel like a new car again. Most of the stuff in the 30k service I could've did myself. Except for the brake line flush and refill. I would've needed some help for that. But, everything in the drivetrain seems like it's a heck of a lot happier that all the fluids where flushed. Hellish expensive if your auto...so, i did not have to pay the circled rate. Much less because of the 6 speed

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Uhhhh....I'm so pissed...I bought my car with 30,500 miles, and completly forgot about the 30k maintence needed to be done...should have had them do this before I got the car...now I gotta fork over the money for it to be done; absolutley no maintence records came with my car....and ya, I thought they drain and replace the tranny fluis at 30k?

#4 ·
If they don't they should. Also worth mentioning was I got the fluid changing done by my tuner while it was there and he swore up and down that anybody not using subaru brand Diff fluid is nutsy so there's a strong recommendation for even if you have someone else doing it using their diff fluid.

#5 ·
Don't know, I think it's only required if your working on the clutch or flywheel. IE. upgrading or repairing. Because it doesn't have a drain plug in it or easy fill nozzle like automatic trannys do. All that I know is that the diffs are tighter and move a lot easier now. It's like she's brand new. I'd swear she accelerates faster now.

#6 ·
I bought my wrx with 26000 miles on it. The very next day I went through and replaced the oil in the engine, rear diff. and the 5 spd. with Royal Purple. I've been using this product for years. I swear by it. After I did that it seemed like she was happier, rolloed along smoother. I also used the water wetter they make when I did the coolant.

#7 ·
Not trying to jack the thread or anything, but I was kinda worried as far as warranty issues with not having the 30k service done so I called the scoob dealership where I bought the car and talked with a service guy; he looked up my car by vin # and said that when they got the car in at 30,500 miles THEY did the 30k service BEFORE I bought it!!! Sweetness for me...and I asked about if the tranny fluid was replaced and he said it was...Z

#8 ·
Maybe they just don't have a charge for it. Like the automatic does on that service bulletin that i got or its included in one the sections and not properly outlined. Let me check my bill.

#9 ·
Duh duh duh....man, I'm a idiot. They change the front differental and that's pretty much changing the manual tranny fluid at the same time. What is wrong with me. The front axles come out from the tranny knuckle. so, the diff would have to located inside that tranny case. Thus, on a manual. It seems like the front diff fluid change changes both. I keep forgetting that the symmetical awd drive train is different then most awd platforms. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But it would stand to reason that the auto is set up different. Thus the dual charge for autos. Hmm...now, i've going to have to research this more.

#12 ·
LiL Shoaf said:
turmic said:
Your the knowledge source for most things. Is the front diff built into the tranny case on a manual transmission. Just wondering if you flushed and filled a front diff. would that basically be flush and filling the manual trans at the same time?

Yes the front diff is located inside the transmission case.. So in order to flush it you would have to flush the entire transmission..

You can see the front diff in this picture of my transmission.

So, this is what I got from Shoaf. Hope, this doesn't break any rules of the forum.

#13 ·
ok so here in socal i am getting 2 totally different quotes to have my 30k service done. One dealer is telling me $500 when i call and ask "how much is the 30k service". Then i call another dealer and they are saying its about $1200. They tell me that this if "for everything".

Isnt when i call and ask how much for a 30k service is, that they are quoting me with "everything"

So what service should i actually get done. I know that i want:

Tranny fluid
rear diff fluid
coolent flush and fluid
brake flush and fluid

Other then that what should i really get done at 30k???

Thanks for any help that is given!!!

#24 ·
So what service should i actually get done. I know that i want:

Tranny fluid
rear diff fluid
coolent flush and fluid
brake flush and fluid
Don't forget this oil change. These things are exactly what you want to have done.

My tranny and diff change was $120 for Motul synthetic at P&L.
Coolant was $60.
Brake flush was $100.

It's important to note that the 30k charge from Subaru only includes inspecting the rear diff. and trans fluid, not changing it.

#15 ·
Good link Chris. They should be able to tell you what work they perform and costs for each individual thing. Like I have above. I got my 60k done when my dealer sent me a 15% off coupon on major mileage service. They took 15% off my bill and also didn't charge me full price for the spark plugs. Still, $1200 isn't even close to what i paid either time. With 15% off and the spark plugs changed for 60k....I paid $481.76.

Expensive, but I'm not comfortable draining and refilling my brake fluid. The long run of it, is that I'm sure some of the fluids have to be disposed of properly, and i doubt the local trash man appreciates trans and brake fluid in the trash can. Plus, I've heard that the dealer diff fluids are better than most aftermarket fluids. So, I run that.

#16 ·
I'm sure some of the fluids have to be disposed of properly, and i doubt the local trash man appreciates trans and brake fluid in the trash can. Plus, I've heard that the dealer diff fluids are better than most aftermarket fluids. So, I run that.
I save my fluids in two 5 gallon icing buckets that I picked up for free from my local grocery store's bakery and I take them to the Recycling Center in Frederick when they fill up. After washing them out, of course, one bucket is only used for antifreeze/coolant and the other is for used motor oil, brake fluid, trans/rear diff fluid since those can all be mixed together. The Recycling Center has huge drums that you dump the liquids into and they dispose of them properly for free :)

...and about the dealer lube being better than most aftermarket fluids... I think maybe somebody is yanking your chain. No offense, but I'd like to see proof of that. Sounds to me like maybe one of the dealership employees started a rumor and word got out that way, but who knows. If the dealership gear oil is anything like their regular motor oil, there should be plenty of aftermarket options that are superior on a molecular level.

#18 ·
If you have basic mechanic knowledge, tools, and a place to do it you can save alot of money by doing it yourself. Thats what I did. I did not do the brake fluid though because I want to wait till I get my ss brake lines.

Motor oil/5qt.@$8-$9ea.=$45
Oil filter&drain plug gasket/$10
Manual transmission/front diff. fluid (the same thing in a manual)/4qt.@$9ea.=$36
Air filter/K&N pannel filter=$50
Coolant/$28
Cooling system conditioner/$4
Brake fluid/?

You could probably do it yourself for about $200

#21 ·
Personally, I'd do a little at a time until it's all done - even if that means working on it for a couple of hours late at night for a week or more. I think working on my car can be therapeutic... when I know what I'm doing... and nothing goes wrong...

And on that note, I'm starting to collect supplies to do my 60k maintenance :)

#22 ·
For me, no matter what it is, working on a car is therapy. Just takes all the stress of the day right out. Yes, I do tend to cuss and get pissed when stuff doesn't go right on or a bolt is stuck, but I still love doing it. It also helps that I grew up with a dad that does most of the major maintenance himself and and uncle that tore my first car apart with me. Sometimes me not being afraid to do the work myself backfires, but usually I learn from the first rough attempt and then the next go around is smooth sailing (changing pads/rotors on my 98 grand cherokee, that was an effing disaster of a first time brake job).

In my defense though two bolts snapped off and I had to get the caliper drilled and tapped out at a shop. Drove to the shop with no rear brakes and calipers bungeed to the axle to keep them from flopping around. Almost forgot, sockets in between the pads so the pistons didn't pop out when I hit the brakes.

#23 ·
Just for reference, allvolwrx's cost estimate is just about right on the money. Here's a breakdown from when I did my 30k service: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/30k-maintenance-how-much-did-co-t-you-25604/

If you subtract the cost of some of the unnecessary stuff that I didn't have to buy (brake lines, brake bleeder, expensive ass spark plugs that I replaced with stock plugs a few thousand miles later), the total ends up being pretty close to $200. I'm hoping to spend about that on my 60k service, with the additional cost of brake pads, drive belts, and "normal" spark plugs this time :)

I'll probably do a breakdown for my 60k service too eventually

#25 ·
Yeah I find it therapeutic as well. Plus I like to know if anything goes wrong (because sometimes no matter how good mechanic you are it will). If someone els does it you never know what they might have done in a problematic situation while pressed for time. Plus the saving $300 or so helps alot!:rocks:

#28 ·
Ha, Free Motul is better than paying for it. ROFL, but cool man. If my dealer was shady, I'd go a different route. But, they aren't so bad for the service of that stuff. A 15% discount wasn't a bad deal either. ;)

#30 ·
Good deal. !Thumbs Up Let us know how it goes and feels after the change. My car always seems to move a little bit smoother down the road.

#34 ·
Ok i have my appt to drop off my car at 8am. Its gonna cost me about $490 for these fluid changes:

Tranny
Coolent
Brake
Rear Diff
Transfer Case
Oil

The cool thing is cause i am spending $400 they are giving me a free loaner car.

As soon as i get my car back and take her for a spin i will report back on how it feels!!!

Right now i am noticing that my gears are sticking slightly occassionally when shifting, so hoping the fluid change will fix this.

#31 ·
Here is the official Maintenance document.

Interval: 30,000 miles / 30 month service

Action Description
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

I'm guessing that they only changed the fluids for you b/c you called them out on it.

One thing I'm very curious about is they quoted me $100 to change the fuel filter. Then when it came time to do it they told me that they just leave them alone on the 04+ Imprezas b/c it's in the gas tank. Then they told me that this maintenance document was simply carried over from the 02 model year.

Anybody else run into this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.