Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   30k service (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/30k-service-23841/)

turmic 07-29-2008 04:17 PM

30k service

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if anyone else has done this lately or not. But, I just got my ride back from Subaru and man does she feel like a new car again. Most of the stuff in the 30k service I could've did myself. Except for the brake line flush and refill. I would've needed some help for that. But, everything in the drivetrain seems like it's a heck of a lot happier that all the fluids where flushed. Hellish expensive if your auto...so, i did not have to pay the circled rate. Much less because of the 6 speed

mosc 07-29-2008 04:50 PM

when do they swap transmission fluids? Never?

zmanoside 07-29-2008 05:48 PM

Uhhhh....I'm so pissed...I bought my car with 30,500 miles, and completly forgot about the 30k maintence needed to be done...should have had them do this before I got the car...now I gotta fork over the money for it to be done; absolutley no maintence records came with my car....and ya, I thought they drain and replace the tranny fluis at 30k?

mosc 07-29-2008 06:48 PM

If they don't they should. Also worth mentioning was I got the fluid changing done by my tuner while it was there and he swore up and down that anybody not using subaru brand Diff fluid is nutsy so there's a strong recommendation for even if you have someone else doing it using their diff fluid.

turmic 07-29-2008 09:04 PM

Don't know, I think it's only required if your working on the clutch or flywheel. IE. upgrading or repairing. Because it doesn't have a drain plug in it or easy fill nozzle like automatic trannys do. All that I know is that the diffs are tighter and move a lot easier now. It's like she's brand new. I'd swear she accelerates faster now.

AkSoul 07-29-2008 10:08 PM

I bought my wrx with 26000 miles on it. The very next day I went through and replaced the oil in the engine, rear diff. and the 5 spd. with Royal Purple. I've been using this product for years. I swear by it. After I did that it seemed like she was happier, rolloed along smoother. I also used the water wetter they make when I did the coolant.

zmanoside 07-30-2008 10:40 AM

Not trying to jack the thread or anything, but I was kinda worried as far as warranty issues with not having the 30k service done so I called the scoob dealership where I bought the car and talked with a service guy; he looked up my car by vin # and said that when they got the car in at 30,500 miles THEY did the 30k service BEFORE I bought it!!! Sweetness for me...and I asked about if the tranny fluid was replaced and he said it was...Z

turmic 07-30-2008 11:48 AM

Maybe they just don't have a charge for it. Like the automatic does on that service bulletin that i got or its included in one the sections and not properly outlined. Let me check my bill.

turmic 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

Duh duh duh....man, I'm a idiot. They change the front differental and that's pretty much changing the manual tranny fluid at the same time. What is wrong with me. The front axles come out from the tranny knuckle. so, the diff would have to located inside that tranny case. Thus, on a manual. It seems like the front diff fluid change changes both. I keep forgetting that the symmetical awd drive train is different then most awd platforms. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But it would stand to reason that the auto is set up different. Thus the dual charge for autos. Hmm...now, i've going to have to research this more.

mosc 08-04-2008 08:12 PM

I don't think that's the case. The document is clearly intended for auto drivers though. Maybe the manual one would have an item for transmission fluid just without the "auto"?

turmic 08-04-2008 09:54 PM

I dunno...i was trying to ask lilshoaf for confirmation on that. But didn't get a responce to my pm.

turmic 08-05-2008 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=LiL Shoaf][QUOTE=turmic]Your the knowledge source for most things. Is the front diff built into the tranny case on a manual transmission. Just wondering if you flushed and filled a front diff. would that basically be flush and filling the manual trans at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Yes the front diff is located inside the transmission case.. So in order to flush it you would have to flush the entire transmission..

You can see the front diff in this picture of my transmission.

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n160/Lil_Shoaf/Subaru/P7140428.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

So, this is what I got from Shoaf. Hope, this doesn't break any rules of the forum.

k_rhayes 02-05-2010 08:13 PM

ok so here in socal i am getting 2 totally different quotes to have my 30k service done. One dealer is telling me $500 when i call and ask "how much is the 30k service". Then i call another dealer and they are saying its about $1200. They tell me that this if "for everything".

Isnt when i call and ask how much for a 30k service is, that they are quoting me with "everything"

So what service should i actually get done. I know that i want:

Tranny fluid
rear diff fluid
coolent flush and fluid
brake flush and fluid

Other then that what should i really get done at 30k???

Thanks for any help that is given!!!

RcrsWetDream 02-05-2010 10:04 PM

[url=http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html]Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period[/url]

All you need to know. I have it bookmarked

turmic 02-06-2010 06:43 AM

Good link Chris. They should be able to tell you what work they perform and costs for each individual thing. Like I have above. I got my 60k done when my dealer sent me a 15% off coupon on major mileage service. They took 15% off my bill and also didn't charge me full price for the spark plugs. Still, $1200 isn't even close to what i paid either time. With 15% off and the spark plugs changed for 60k....I paid $481.76.

Expensive, but I'm not comfortable draining and refilling my brake fluid. The long run of it, is that I'm sure some of the fluids have to be disposed of properly, and i doubt the local trash man appreciates trans and brake fluid in the trash can. Plus, I've heard that the dealer diff fluids are better than most aftermarket fluids. So, I run that.