Subaru WRX Forum banner

20g turbo

25K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
i have an 06 sti full tbe and cobb ap. i am interested in puttin a 20g turbo on my car in the near future and want to know if you guys have any suggestions and what all suporting mods would i need?

#3 · (Edited)
350 AWHP depends on tune, dyno, so on and so forth. But I run a Blouch TD06-20G with TurboXS TMIC, Walboro FP, DW 850CC injectors (a tad overkill, but room to grow), Cobb TBE, Cobb SRI (w/box), Ingarsol Rand 3 port BCS, stock range spark plugs. Made 329 AWHP, 319 ft/lbs tq at 20PSI on a Mustang dyno on 92OCT in Puyallup WA last June. Car is a blast to drive with no real noticable lag. And I have room to grow with both the injectors and turbo (with current TMIC).

You will be happy with the turbo. Check out blouch's site, they have a "newer" and "better" 20G then what was out when I picked mine up.

And the intake isnt needed unless you want to run a CAI, my tuner tuned my car wtih the Cobb SRI as if it were the stock box.

#4 ·
Yeah I'm looking at the new 20g XT that they are making for the LGT layout WRX's. They come in 7,8, and 10cm hotsides, and I'm just not sure if I want 8 or 10cm. If I go 10cm I mine's well go to the dom 2.5xtr but then I would need an fmic to run that turbo layout.

Blouch rates the 20gxt at 470 crank hp which will be pretty darn close to 400 to the wheels depending on gas, elevation, dyno. Once I do the turbo I'll have built the block I just bought and have the fuel system ready for E85, so 400 is a goal I have in mind.

#5 ·
470 chp is definitely not 400 whp. It's closer to 350.

93 octane

Relevant mods:

EJ257 Shortblock
3-Angle Valve Job
PnP Throttle Body
TD06H-20G w/ 8 cm hotside
Deatschwerks 750cc Cobb Spec Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Scoobysport Turboback
Slow Boy Racing External Wastegegate Up-pipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
TurboXS FMIC
Perrin BigMAF
Prodrive 3-Port Boost Solenoid

Definitely laggier than a VF, but it's still a fun turbo. I wish I'd gone with a TD05H, but oh well.

#8 ·
Do you notice any heat soak with the tmic and such a large turbo?

On days where I sit in traffic I can totally tell that the car slows down. I'm upgrading to an sti tmic soon, so that might provide a little relief.

At p&l they switched to their fmic on a 30r sti and picked up more hp on 2lbs less boost with no decrease in spool. And it was more consistent on the dyno.

#9 ·
To be honest I have never been in too much stop and go traffic ever with my car. And have had no real way (other than to get out of the car and physically check) to monitor, but never suffered performance wise.

I would run a TMIC as long as possible (the only way I would go right to a FMIC is on a rotated turbo). Hopefully within the year (starting march 2011 when I return to the states) I will be maxing out everything I have (which means a few choice parts from Grimmspeed) with a new tune, and hopefully still keeping my TMIC.

#11 ·
I'm also going to try to keep the tmic as long as possible. Down the line I'm looking for a 20g sized stock location turbo, and would like to keep the tmic. It seems to be able to handle a good 400whp, which is what I would shoot for on E85. If it turns out to really hold me back, then sure I'll do fmic, but only if I have to.

#12 ·
Dom 3.0XTR....the only person running that turbo on this forum is a 08 wrx on this forum. Its still a pretty new turbo...I'm running the Dom 2.5XTR. I'm going back in the fall/winter to see what she can really put down when it's not hot and humid as heck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.