2006 wrx quirks? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

eronenris is an unknown
2006 wrx quirks?

ok so i have been approved by the bank for the 2006 wrx i have been looking at and i am picking it up within the next few days i just have a couple of questions about them.

im just wondering if they have any little quirks like my speed6 did?...like if i try to boost at too low of an rpm to i get a shit load of knock and detonation, or if i dont let the turbo heat up for a few minutes first is it going to fry the turbo seals or damage the turbo in any other way...same with cooling down do i have to let it cool down for a few minutes to avoid damage? do wrx's have serious misfire issues like the speed6's? do these cars ever blow white smoke after removing cats? are there any mods i need to buy right away so i dont destroy my car? (on the speed 6 if you didnt buy that rear motor mount before you started modding anything else you would have serious problems, or replace the intake right away because of how restrictive it is) sorry for the huge array of questions but i just want to make sure i dont mess this car up at all it has to last me a few years atleast.

thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by eronenris View Post
ok so i have been approved by the bank for the 2006 wrx i have been looking at and i am picking it up within the next few days i just have a couple of questions about them.

im just wondering if they have any little quirks like my speed6 did?...like if i try to boost at too low of an rpm to i get a shit load of knock and detonation, (Not with a decent tune... sometimes even stock will be ok) or if i dont let the turbo heat up for a few minutes first is it going to fry the turbo seals or damage the turbo in any other way (This goes for any charged car, just don't go about 2500 before it's warmed up)...same with cooling down do i have to let it cool down for a few minutes to avoid damage? (if you drive the hell out of it, then a minute will not hurt, I know some may tell you otherwise) do wrx's have serious misfire issues like the speed6's? (No, but it depends if a pack or plug is bad, speeds are bad because of the DI) do these cars ever blow white smoke after removing cats? are there any mods i need to buy right away so i dont destroy my car? (Get a tune or an AP) (on the speed 6 if you didnt buy that rear motor mount before you started modding anything else you would have serious problems, or replace the intake right away because of how restrictive it is) (Leave the stock intake on till you are ready for a bigger turbo) sorry for the huge array of questions but i just want to make sure i dont mess this car up at all it has to last me a few years atleast.

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

How bout those ?

Anything you can do/buy to assist on the shifting/tranny will also be a huge benefit.

No need to buy a catless DP, not worth the extra 3-4 HP

Get a set of sways and endlinks (not right away, but at some point)

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

eronenris is an unknown
thanks that helps a lot...so if i just buy an AP for now and then get a turbo back in a few months and do the stage 2 tune from cobb should that be good you think? and do i leave the intake stock even with a stage 2 tune? is the wrx intake really that good wouldnt cobb's be better? and are the stock motor mounts good on these?
#4 Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just like with your speed, don't stray from the AP's maps unless you get a drop in filter for the intake. It really is a good intake AND it's safe.

From what I remember from a previous post of yours, a stage 2 with a OTS map will be fine till you can get a protune.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

eronenris is an unknown
ok then thats what i will plan on doing...thanks...how about the motor mounts are they strong on these cars?
#6 Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah... Boxer sits different than the 2.3

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

eronenris is an unknown
ok thats good to know thanks.
#8 Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im running a 20G turbo with my car, and my tuner (Tim Bailey) said that I didnt have to run the Cobb airbox, that the stock would have handled it fine. But the Cobb does look nice if you get the box with it also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"