Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   2006 turbo (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/2006-turbo-27814/)

mfarnham 12-18-2009 12:55 PM

2006 turbo

Can my stock turbo safely handle 18 psi? I know there is more to worry about if I push 18 lbs of boost, but I'm just wondering about the turbo right now.

ratfink 12-18-2009 01:56 PM

Not terribly familiar with your turbo, but if the 2008 wrx hairdryer of a turbo can handle 19 psi on stage 2, I'd think your could as well.

XPT tunes for about 17.5-18 psi.

[url]http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_6_1_9&products_id=5[/url]

mfarnham 12-18-2009 02:13 PM

Alright, so that says 18psi is the recommended max for my turbo. Good to know.

On that note, what does everyone think I could make for power if I did these mods plus 18psi on the stock turbo?
-750cc injectors
-255 fuel pump
-larger TMIC
-Perrin recirc. BOV

newtothegame 12-18-2009 02:27 PM

You would more than likely max it out. It depends on how hard its pushed, type of dyno, fuel type. And a heads up about the Perrin BPV, watch your IC splitter, it will hit/rub the Perrin unit. As its much taller than stock, and is angled kind of wrong for a TMIC setup. I know from experience.

RcrsWetDream 12-18-2009 02:37 PM

From what I was told by COBB: Sea Level and access to good gas (92+) you can max out the stock fuel system. Being in Mass you're probably what 2-500ft? Pretty sure you guys have 92 out there too. I would do the pump and injectors. On the other hand, I'm at 4400' and only have access to 91 octane and they said I can't really max out the fuel system since they can't tune too aggressively in the first place.

What are your power goals?? If you're looking for 350 awhp max then 750 will do you just fine depending on what you want your max duty cycle to be (I like 80%, it leaves plenty of room). If you want more power in the future I would just go 850 or higher now and be done with it. Here's a good tool to size your injectors:

[url=http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/fuel_calculators.php]Deatschwerks[/url]

Plus if you buy from them you can trade in your stock injectors for $100 bucks off.

newtothegame 12-18-2009 02:52 PM

Deatschwerks are amazing people to work with. I run their 850cc injectors. Of course Im running a bigger turbo. The thing about running such big injectors, for one they are the best injectors out there, or so says my tuner, but they can also be tuned to run just like stock, no startup or idle issues. But I think for the 06-07 WRX injectors, the refund you back $50 per injecotr.

RcrsWetDream 12-18-2009 02:55 PM

Their site currently has one link for WRX injectors and says 100 back when you send in your stockers.

"100% drop-in fitment
OEM 12-orifice atomization plate upper and lower o-rings
12-month comprehensive warranty

PLUS you will receive a $100 rebate if you send us your OEM injectors. A rebate form is included with each order. There is no core charge"

50 per injector would have been sweet though. Maybe certain retailers offer that?

God I'm bored at work today...

newtothegame 12-18-2009 03:01 PM

Lol Chirs, they must have changed their policy then. I got $200 back when I got mine, but that was about 4 months ago now.

RcrsWetDream 12-18-2009 03:06 PM

I feel robbed.... Maybe go to the junkyard and swipe some injectors and pay for the whole setup when I do mine.

mfarnham 12-18-2009 03:19 PM

My goal is at least 300whp. And I plan on installing a 20G turbo farther in the future.

And what would you suggest for a recirc. valve? I would like it to be black or blue if possible.

RcrsWetDream 12-18-2009 03:23 PM

Well I'm sure you can get the Perrin unit to work, might just have to protect the Y-pipe a bit. Personally I plan on running the Perrin Limited FMIC- red piping, black core since I plan on heavily modifying down the road... I'll be running it on the VF52 and I hear it can keep up with it no problem. If you're planning on a 20g I would go FMIC as well... More cost right now but a lot less later.

mfarnham 12-18-2009 03:26 PM

I was thinking FMIC at first, but John seems to have had great success with his setup.

mfarnham 12-18-2009 03:28 PM

Correction. Josh, not John. My bad.

newtothegame 12-18-2009 07:21 PM

Well when the 06 came out, they had the highest flowing injector, not sure about the 08s. But what this did for Deatchwerks was make it easier for them to modify which was why the wanted them so bad and was willing to pay for them. Not sure why the lowered the return now.

As far as BOV/BPV goes you can run the Perrin unit, you will just have to take your whole IC splitter off, the rubber and the metal piece also. But knowing Im a Cobb fanatic, take this as you will, but if you can get ahold of the new Cobb XLE BOV, I would get it. Its much better constructed than the Perrin one (all solid metal), you dont need the stock BPV elbow, its easier to adjust spring tension (the Perrin one is overly simple, it would loosen by itself, the Cobb wont), the sound is much better. Im still working on getting a sound clip up. Im runnning mine in hybrid mode which sounds better than the Perrin one and I dont have any issues what so ever. When I purchased mine, a guy that worked at surgeline was running the TurboSmart hybrid BPV, he liked the Cobb on so much he took his old one off to run the Cobb unit.

As far as my setup (running the TurboXS TMIC), its a great match up, and Im not even limited by my IC yet. It maybe spools 300-400 slower than stock, but hits like an SOB. My tuner said its a great setup/match with still room to grow (but of course Im limited by the tranny right now). And my setup got me 330 AWHP (319 ft/lbs tq) on a mustang dyno.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to be as thorough for you, being that I have ran both BPVs, and you are looking for a similar setup as me. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

mfarnham 12-19-2009 12:58 AM

That answered a lot of my questions. i like Cobb too, and i really like the setup you are running. My ultimate goal is to be able to beat the piss out of my brothers LS1.