2001 RS to sti - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thrice00 is an unknown
2001 RS to sti

Hi guys,

i got a deal on a total STI swap. I was thinking of selling my 02 wrx to get a 2001 2 dr RS for cheaper and put the STI swap 04-07 in it.

Does it fit.

How do you guys think it would cost if its done by a professionnal shop.

is it a good idea. 250000km on the body of the RS

thanks for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Do you also have the ECU from the STI? You have every transmission component to include the axles, hubs and diffs? If I recall right my old shop charges around the $6,000 range just in labor, but the last time I saw them do that was about 4 years ago.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thrice00 is an unknown
..... 6000$

I didnt tought it would cost that much.

Would it be the same to swap it in an impreza 2002 manual
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well figure you are pulling one engine/tranny out, putting another in. Wiring up the DCCD for the tranny, new ECU to hooked up, the new diffs installed, its more than most people think it is.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
To use the sti 6-speed in that chassis is a pain. Most people who do it are also going to pull the STi differentials, hubs, and brakes as well. If you don't have those, factor that in.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
A complete 04-07 STi swap into a first gen RS would make for a pretty mean car... be sure to research fully before diving into that project. I'd imagine even with our help/estimates you'll encounter even more hidden costs. Best thing to do would probably be to talk to the shop(s) that would actually be doing all the work.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 8 Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thrice00 is an unknown
thanks for your answer guys. Im gonna make a few call today.

Does The fact that the scoop on the rs is really small, is it better to mount a front mount intercooler.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Basically everything mechanical fits. If you swap EVERYTHING, most of it will be a direct bolt-on. You will have minor issues with suspension (positive camber, ride height), steering components (u-joint will need modifications), and possibly the gas pedal. Besides that, everything else that matters literally just bolts on. If you need to mix and match parts from different cars, though, you will run into more issues.

Having said that, the mechanical part of the swap is by far the easiest. It requires very little skill and knowledge. Wiring will be MUCH more difficult, ESPECIALLY if you intend on using an sti ecu and oem DCCD controller. If you are determined to do this, figure out exactly what you want to do and what kind of wiring is involved first. If you figure that out, everything else is downhill from there. I suggest that you use a wrx ECU and aftermarket DCCD controller instead and forget about AVCS and DBW. If you REALLY want AVCS, use a jdm ECU.

There are aftermarket hood scoops available. Don't force yourself to go front-mount yet until you've gotten all of the important stuff sorted out.