Subaru WRX Forum banner

07 wagon suspension

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Hey guys I got a 07' wrx wagon looking for suggestions on affordable suspension upgrades. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
It really depends what your goals are: looks or performance? Is everything stock?

First up on your list should be:
Wider/lighter wheels (too wide and you'll probably have to modify your fenders)
Wider sticky summer tires
Sway bars and endlinks
Rear subframe lock bolts
As much bracing and polyurethane bushings as you can stand

Next:
Springs/struts (or coilovers) and associated camber bits
Performance alignment

I would buy the tires and struts (or coilovers) brand new for peace of mind. The rest can probably be sourced on the NASIOC classifieds or eBay to save a few bucks.

Of course, there are many different routes you can take. What are your thoughts?

#7 · (Edited)
I think the first question should be "what will the vehicle be used for". Will it be a daily driver or a weekend warrior? If the vehicle is a DD I would start out with just upgraded struts as performance springs will lower the ride height thus the ride quality will be diminished. Also you can upgrade the front/rear sway bars and still use stock bushings as the upgraded polyurethane bushings will also effect your ride quality. Since the wagon has "junk in the trunk" upgrading the rear suspension will transform the car imo.

Please do not take this wrong as I have sacrificed ride quality for handling performance for decades. The point I am attempting to make is that if the vehicle is a DD and commutes are long a tight/bouncy suspension gets OLD very fast.

#8 ·
So I am in the same boat as turbowagon here. My car is my DD and being from the northeast corner tough winters and awful potholes are keeping me from wanting my car any lower than it already is,if i went any lower I would only want an inch or so at most if that's even possible. I was thinking brand new struts and a strut tower brace would do wonders. The only thing is I don't know what I should get for struts. My goal with the suspension upgrades would to be just tighten up my suspension and reduce the obscene amount of body sway I currently have. Thanks guys :)

#11 ·
And that was my concern. I know nothing about suspension, and I was told that a strut tower brace would work wonders. I'm really not concerned with how "clean" under my hood looks right now. I'm shooting for practicality more than anything. So anti-sway bars it is. But for new struts? Any suggestions on those?

#12 ·
@07SubieRex Depends on how you use your car, Do you want to go lower? Stiffer? 3 Inch lift and rally time? If its a DD then the OEM struts work fine and are really inexpensive. Paired with a nice anti-sway and end link combo they make your DD feel like a track car in the corners and they are very forgiving on long highway drives. If you want to drop some extra cash into your suspension you can go for KYB AGX struts. They give you some adjust ability without breaking the bank.

One word of advice, Unless you track the car regularly please don't fall into the coil-over hole, Its a money pit with very little return. Decent coil-overs are very expensive (350-500 per corner versus 100 per corner for decent struts and 75 per corner for springs, if you even need springs)

If your OEM struts are OK ( replaced at 70-80k miles ) then start with the sway bars and end links, Its a few hours worth of work and its by far the best upgrade Ive made on my 13 hatch.

#13 ·
Oh no, I'm definitely not falling into the coilover pit that I see so many falling for. The roads I drive on day to day are absolutely awful for too stiff of a suspension. I do drive on the highway quite frequently for school so I'll either go stock or with the KYB struts. Although the 3" lift sounds insanely tempting to go rallying with, I'll have to hold off I've got to baby my little girl through my school years. I'm almost positive my struts have to be replaced as the car has just hit 100K and I am almost positive they were never done.

Thanks for all the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

P.S. Where can I find the KYB AGX adjustables? I can only find the excel-g struts, I see them for the older model imprezas, but none for my 07 wagon. Thanks again :)

#14 ·
I usually get them from tirerack but I just did a quick search and I don't see them for the 07. Looks like they might only be setup for the early models. The excel G struts are OEM replacements so they wouldn't be a bad option. I would shoot KYB an email and see if they have AGXs for your year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.