Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 wrx turbo upgrade

53K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  c2bcoolwrx 
#1 ·
i have a 06 wrx and was looking at buying a 16g turbo for it. I am not very knowlegdable about turbos, upgrades, ect. would i be able to just directly bolt the turbo on with no futher upgrades? I've heard something about upgrading the water and oil lines but thats all.

any answers/advice would be very helpful! thanks

#28 ·
Turbo and size really depends on what you want out of the car. The 16G will spool really quick with the 2.5L, ask Mosc, he has one on his STI. I orginally wanted a 16G, but opted for a 20G after really thinking it over and ultimately wanting much more than a 16G could offer.

#33 ·
I personally dont have any first hand experience with the VF series other than the 39/43 from the STIs. But if you do go to the "Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L 02-05)" part of the forum and at the top there is a link by Vew titled "IHI VF Turbos Info" its from 2006 but has some decent information and discussion in it. From my understandin thought the IHI turbos are more expensive and not rebuildable where the 16, 18, and 20G are rebuidable which usually make them more desirable than the other turbos. But if you can find a good deal on the vf30 it makes it another tough decision.

#34 ·
I did find a good deal on a vf30. I trying to figure out where that turbo compares bext to a 16g. also im wondering if the vf30 is a good dd turbo and what kind of numbers to expect. im hoping i could get 300 with a wlboro pump, 850cc injectors and a bigger tmic.

#35 ·
A 16G w/a good tune will have better top end, hold boost better to redline, and more useable power (area under the curve) than almost any VF series turbo. As said earlier the VF series turbos are not rebuildable.

(to answer your earlier question) yes a 16G is still fairly small, while still being a good step up from the stock TD04. Also, Blouch will do an EVO3 16G with an 8cm exhaust side, just call and ask.

FYI: I have a Blouch TD05H-18G 8cm on my EJ257 2.5L hybrid build and I love it. I has an amazing powerband and makes 300whp all the way until 7000rpm (even though I am only running a conservative tune of 16PSI). IMHO the perfect DDer turbo for the 2.0L is a EV03 16G 7cm, but for the 2.5L it is a TD05-18G 8cm (with the larger TD06 compressor cover of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.