Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 wrx turbo upgrade

53K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  c2bcoolwrx 
#1 ·
i have a 06 wrx and was looking at buying a 16g turbo for it. I am not very knowlegdable about turbos, upgrades, ect. would i be able to just directly bolt the turbo on with no futher upgrades? I've heard something about upgrading the water and oil lines but thats all.

any answers/advice would be very helpful! thanks

#2 ·
upgrading the turbo requires (to be effective anyway):
fuel injectors
fuel pump
larger intercooler
new gaskets
turbo back exhaust with a bellmouth downpipe
a custom tune

You might also consider:
decent tires
driving lessons

EDIT: You CAN just slap the turbo on there provided you tune for it. This would be rather stupid though. The stock intercooler on the 06-07 WRX is the smallest of any year WRX. There's gains to be had replacing it on your STOCK turbo, not much point in going to something bigger with it still in there. Fuel system is similar. As always, a custom tune for any non-stock condition is a good requirement.

#4 ·
Gotta pay to play.... I'd say 2250 minimum if you go for less expensive exhaust parts. More like 2700 +.

fuel injectors- 3-400
fuel pump- 100
larger intercooler- 750
new gaskets- 75 (turbo to DP, UP, maybe one or two more)
turbo back exhaust with a bellmouth downpipe- 7-1500
a custom tune- 350

#14 ·
Get a used VF39 or VF43 off of an 04-07 STi. Buy a cheap but decently sized TMIC. You can get used ones in the $150 that are pretty big. Buy a fuel pump. Use your stock injectors. You can use an off the shelf map for this. Probably do the whole thing for <$500 if you're careful.

#18 ·
Yes, you'd need a custom tune since you're not going to find an off the shelf map for that setup. That's the advantage of getting a turbo other people have used, you can find base maps to avoid a costly custom tune. That said, custom tunes are awesome and will help nearly any setup. They can be done relatively cheaply too if you do your own logging and loading.

Your stock injectors are decent sized but not huge. They're good for your stock turbo, maybe one slightly larger. Beyond that, they should be upgraded. They're roughly the same size as the ones in the STi which does use a bigger turbo. It's been shown though that the STi can max out it's injectors with the stock turbo so keep that in mind.

The fuel pump can't handle most stage 2 tunes IMHO let a turbo swap on the EJ255. Others will tell you it can handle a bit more but it's a cheap ass part to limit your whole setup on.

The stock 06 WRX intercooler is, again, the smallest of any year USDM WRX.

#19 ·
I'm pretty darn sure, blouch rates their turbos at the estimated crank hp levels. Just so you know. Yeah, its going to take some upgrades to even get to your crank hp goals.

#22 ·
Mind you, that if you are on a budget you should skip the intake. You arent really going to see any gains from it at all. Get yourself a panel filter and search "sliencer delete" or "snorkus delete". You will get the same results and same noise from doing that and spend probably less than half the money you would on the intake.

#25 ·
Mosc is right about the size of the injectors. You could technically run the 16G with them and a proper tune, but you would be limited by your injector size. Check out deatschwerks, they buy back your stock injectors. Im not sure what they are buying them back for, but the 06/07 are worth the most, I got $200 back for mine when I bought from them.

#26 ·
The OP has an '06 WRX which has an EJ255 2.5L. What no one has mentioned is the fact that a 16G is pretty small for the 2.5L and I would not go smaller than an EVO III 16G. Also, the fact that he should get an 8cm exhaust side b/c 7cm tends to creep on the 2.5L and the 8cm has better throttle response, top end, and is just better suited to the additional flow of 2.5L over the 2.0L.

Personally, I would do either of these turbos:

Blouch TD05H-EVO III Big 16G 8cm
Blouch TD05H-18G 8cm

Either would be a great DDer turbo, but I would give the edge to the 18G being the perfect size turbo w/a better top end due to Blouch using the larger TD06 compressor cover on the 18G.

Lastly, think long and hard about injectors sizing (talk it over with your tuner). B/c it is always good to have a little more headroom in case want to do an E85 tune or upgrade to larger turbo down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.