06 WRX Setup - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Actually, the SPT intake does skew MAF readings. The MAF housing is smaller than stock. Back when the SPT intake came out as part of the SPT Power Pack, there was a dealer reflash that was part of it that was meant to address it.

As for the irresponsible driving, I meant in terms of driving too fast in flood conditions and racing into puddles when you don't know deep they are. I've driven my WRX with an APS CAI in water deeper than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
Why would you get slower spool from porting the exhaust manifold?

I also suggested in my post with stick with the stock airbox. And as for CAI, there have been many instances where main roads have flooded in my area but remained open. Can't avoid nature and I am far from a reckless driver (meaning, I am not purposely going onto flooded roads).

And from my research, the SPT intake does not mess with the MAF. Another reason why I mentioned to do the research before committing to the buy. Many people just slap on mods and tuning is not even an after thought. Usually, people mod in stages not slap everything on all at once.

To the OP, why the HTA? What are your power goals? Have you considered your clutch/trans?

1. I`am not bounded to the HTA, that was only because I research it and many people find it to be a nice turbo, I can consider another one, this was just a setup that I tought could be nice, so if anyone have any other suggestion on what turbo to use, please let me know.

2. As I wrote in my first post, I will be using it for DD and when I feel like it, take it to the track for a spin. So my power goals should be no huge HPs, only enought so it gets a bit more "aggresive" without changing out my whole trans for the STI version.

3. I have consider the Exedy or ACT stage 1 clutch to start with...
#18 Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I always push the evo3 16g

Probably one of the better streetable turbos. I haven't done any research on the hta68.

About the SPT intake, don't they have 2 versions?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#19 Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I always push the evo3 16g

Probably one of the better streetable turbos. I haven't done any research on the hta68.

About the SPT intake, don't they have 2 versions?
Isnt the evo3 16g pretty small turbo for the 2.5 wrx?
#20 Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Maybe I should just go with the IHI VF48 that comes on the 2008+ STIs
Or is this a bad upgrade turbo for the WRX?
#21 Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It's not that much bigger a turbo than what comes on the WRX. It's significantly smaller than the already mentioned E3-16G you thought was too small.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#22 Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
SubbZero, do you have a goal HP range you are aiming for? All the turbos mentioned will net you ~300 to the wheels, but tuning and supporting mods do play a major role whether it's a low 300, or mid 300. I agree with pzr2874 a 16g or comparable would be a fun turbo for both the street and the track.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#23 Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
It's not that much bigger a turbo than what comes on the WRX. It's significantly smaller than the already mentioned E3-16G you thought was too small.
Ok then we just ditch that idea
Thanks for the info
#24 Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Quote:
SubbZero, do you have a goal HP range you are aiming for? All the turbos mentioned will net you ~300 to the wheels, but tuning and supporting mods do play a major role whether it's a low 300, or mid 300. I agree with pzr2874 a 16g or comparable would be a fun turbo for both the street and the track.
Thats exactly what Im looking for, both for street and track.
So the E3-16G would be a good upgrade turbo for my setup?
#25 Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^ That's what I am going with...but the Blouch 16g-XT w/ 8cm housing. Most of my upgrades are price driven though, so subject to change

Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-16G-XT Turbocharger

I find a 20g to be more a highway roller. Definitely do your research though and good luck!

- Sandra
#26 Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Everything I've heard about the FP hta 68 is that it is a great turbo for the 2.5. From what I see it spools as fast as a 16g but has the power up top like a 20g, so its pretty much the perfect turbo to fit your needs.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#27 Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
A VF48 can make a decent 320ish whp on a WRX pretty easily. My old 06 WRX TR made that with a VF48 and then the new owner destroyed its 5 spd MT in three weeks after the upgrade.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#28 Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
^ That's what I am going with...but the Blouch 16g-XT w/ 8cm housing. Most of my upgrades are price driven though, so subject to change

Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-16G-XT Turbocharger

I find a 20g to be more a highway roller. Definitely do your research though and good luck!
I don't see any graphs for this charger. Happen to find one, post it if you would?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#29 Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^ On the 2.0 though -
Dyno Tune: 2.0L + Blouch 16G-XT makes 278whp 280WTQ (Forged Performance) - NASIOC

Post #10 has a pretty decent grocery list/setup for this. But with the 2.5L I think this set up would be a bit more perky.

- Sandra
#30 Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubbZero is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
Everything I've heard about the FP hta 68 is that it is a great turbo for the 2.5. From what I see it spools as fast as a 16g but has the power up top like a 20g, so its pretty much the perfect turbo to fit your needs.
Yeah I have heard the same thing, thats why I picked it from the beginning.
I think this is the best of both worlds so to say, as a dd and play on track a couple of times a year I think it is a good choice