Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 WRX Setup

9K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  SubbZero 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

I`am a Subaru WRX owner from Sweden and I find this car extremely great in every way, BUT.. I`am looking for some more horsepowers.
I have studied many subaru forums and i think i have found a good setup for it.
The car is going to be used as daily driver but should work just as nice on track days.
Let me know what you think about it.

Turbo: Forced Performance 68HTA
Intercooler: TurboXS tmic
Injectors: DeatschWerks 650cc top feed
Intake: Cosworth CAI
Fuel pump: Walbro 255l/h
Exhaust: Downpipe-Helix catted Catback-Milltek Sport (non resonated)
Tune: EcuTek

I have all the handling performance figured out, but the engine performance was a bit more complicated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#10 ·
I personally find CAI to be worthless, especially on daily driven cars in areas where flooding might be an issue. IMHO, I would stick to stock or short ram w/ shield and read up on different intakes. I have read some mess with the MAF scaling which results in crappy AFR's.

You are going to stick with IWG on the 68HTA? Why not EWG?

I may also recommend going with the porting package from GrimmSpeed for the exhaust manifold + hi-flow crossover pipe. Will help with quicker spool.
GrimmSpeed

#11 ·
You mean you will get slower spool.

Your CAI is not merited unless you drive recklessly in areas where most people have common sense not do so (on flooded roads). You told him that some mess up AFRs and then you told him to get a short ram intake (which can do exactly the same thing). Though, it's a moot point because he's getting a custom tune anyways for the rest of the mods.

#15 · (Edited)
Why would you get slower spool from porting the exhaust manifold?

I also suggested in my post with stick with the stock airbox. And as for CAI, there have been many instances where main roads have flooded in my area but remained open. Can't avoid nature and I am far from a reckless driver (meaning, I am not purposely going onto flooded roads).

And from my research, the SPT intake does not mess with the MAF. Another reason why I mentioned to do the research before committing to the buy. Many people just slap on mods and tuning is not even an after thought. Usually, people mod in stages not slap everything on all at once.

To the OP, why the HTA? What are your power goals? Have you considered your clutch/trans?

#16 ·
Actually, the SPT intake does skew MAF readings. The MAF housing is smaller than stock. Back when the SPT intake came out as part of the SPT Power Pack, there was a dealer reflash that was part of it that was meant to address it.

As for the irresponsible driving, I meant in terms of driving too fast in flood conditions and racing into puddles when you don't know deep they are. I've driven my WRX with an APS CAI in water deeper than that. ;)

#22 ·
SubbZero, do you have a goal HP range you are aiming for? All the turbos mentioned will net you ~300 to the wheels, but tuning and supporting mods do play a major role whether it's a low 300, or mid 300. I agree with pzr2874 a 16g or comparable would be a fun turbo for both the street and the track.

#27 ·
A VF48 can make a decent 320ish whp on a WRX pretty easily. My old 06 WRX TR made that with a VF48 and then the new owner destroyed its 5 spd MT in three weeks after the upgrade.

#31 ·
HTA68 is a glorified 18G. Similar top end as an 18G with slightly faster spool. The older models (ones with hotsides under 10cm) are much more suited to 2.0Ls as they are still a bit small for the 2.5L, though a few people have had good luck with them with the larger engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.