• 2 Post By man show
  • 1 Post By boo-key bear
  • 1 Post By General-Leo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

gobigred28 is an unknown
06 wrx overboost

So im new to the subaru scene and didnt read up as much as i shouldve. I got a cobb turboback exhaust and a perrian up pipe on it right now, everything else is stock. i was driving in 2nd and shifted into 3rd. the car made a lurching sound. i got a cel and its the p0224. So would i need a MBC and a tune? Or just a tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
If you do not have a tune with a TBE that is a problem! DP=TUNE. I would probably say not to drive your car or completely stay out of boost while driving until you get it tuned before you do damage to your engine. Which staying out of boost is pretty much impossible IMO.
Epictofer likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#3 Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is more helpful than not
Garage
I would park it, or put the stock exhaust back on till you can tune it. DP with no tune and your going to have a bad time! dont french fry when you suposed to pizza!!
#4 Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Out of curiosity, why the Perrin up pipe? The stock up pipes on 06+ WRXs are already catless, so it's probably not much of an improvement.

Get some type of Stage 2 tune as soon as possible and you'll be ok. Until then, stay out of boost almost entirely - there's no need to switch your exhaust back to stock if you can will yourself to drive like a grandma for a little while.

Sorry, just noticed the MBC comment - avoid manual boost controllers at all costs! Eventually, you might want a 3 port electronic boost control solenoid, but that will require a professional tune immediately. Your car's ECU is pretty good at controlling boost up to about Stage 2 levels.
arewmors likes this.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

gobigred28 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Out of curiosity, why the Perrin up pipe? The stock up pipes on 06+ WRXs are already catless, so it's probably not much of an improvement.

Get some type of Stage 2 tune as soon as possible and you'll be ok. Until then, stay out of boost almost entirely - there's no need to switch your exhaust back to stock if you can will yourself to drive like a grandma for a little while.

Sorry, just noticed the MBC comment - avoid manual boost controllers at all costs! Eventually, you might want a 3 port electronic boost control solenoid, but that will require a professional tune immediately. Your car's ECU is pretty good at controlling boost up to about Stage 2 levels.
I got the up pipe for $50 so I figured why not. So the only way to fix my problem is a tune? And why are mbc's so bad?
#6 Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictofer View Post
dont french fry when you suposed to pizza!!
I like it!
the RIOT act and Epictofer like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 12-28-2013, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred28 View Post
I got the up pipe for $50 so I figured why not. So the only way to fix my problem is a tune? And why are mbc's so bad?
Not a bad deal on the up pipe - it'll help your turbo spool a little bit faster, but probably nothing noticeable.

You could get an MBC, but just be aware that you'll often run into PTFB (partial throttle, full boost) situations, so you'll have to constantly monitor everything through a series of gauges and adjust your driving style so you're not mashing the gas all the time. A 3 port EBCS is an extremely popular alternative because it is a "set it and forget it" type of thing (once you are tuned for it).
BLAZE2099 and arewmors like this.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key bear; 01-01-2014 at 08:09 AM.
#9 Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If your car is trying to produce one thing for said boost, and you're tricking it by giving it a different amount.
What do you think could happen?

Where's Kirts Star Trek MeMe?

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
[QUOTE=man show;418298]Get some type of Stage 2 tune as soon as possible and you'll be ok.

Ok so I can make a new thread, but figured since he is allready talking about it I would just ask here.
I have a 2013 COBB stg 2 wrx, invidia DP and COBB catback exhast. and I am running the LWG stg 2 map. and I still overboost in 3rd gear at WOT. any ideas?
#11 Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
[quote=General-Leo;419082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;418298
I have a 2013 COBB stg 2 wrx, invidia DP and COBB catback exhast. and I am running the LWG stg 2 map. and I still overboost in 3rd gear at WOT. any ideas?
Catted or catless invidia dp? I know they make both. If it's catless, there's your problem. Are you throwing cel's?
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Not every car likes OTS maps as well. So even if you're catted with the dp some cars are just not OTS map friendly. You could send a data log to Cobb and see what they say, or get an etune, or even better get a pro-tune. But if you're catless that would be your problem like Adair stated above. I would not recommend catless on the newer gens like ours.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#13 Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
Its a catted DP, and the weird thing is I have taken it to a dyno and they ran it saying that they had no issues. The guy even said he was trying to make it over boost.
I'm just going to start another thread so I don't completly jack this one. haha
boo-key bear likes this.