Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 wrx intercooler question and boost question

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jed344 
#1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that 06 has the smallest intercooler. I have a 02-03 wrx intercooler just laying around and I was wondering if it would help to put that on my 06 wrx?

Im also wondering about what my boost is supposed to be at. Im running stage 2 map and my guage says i hit 14 and the AP says im getting to about 14.4. I was just wondering if that is about right.

#2 ·
I doubt you would be better off with the other intercooler really, even with a tune. You are tunning a stage 2 map (with 91OCT?) If I remember correctly with mine I was hitting almost 17 or so PSI with my stage 2 map, but I cant really remember, I know when I did the base dyno for it and logged everything was pretty much maxed out with mine.

#3 ·
I remember reading somewhere that 06 has the smallest intercooler.
Try the thread right below this? :tease: Um, its probably not worth it to put that 02-03 intercooler on it. Go STI or bigger. Stock wrx intercoolers 02-07 aren't that big at all. Plus, you can just throw on another STI part. Right? :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I would also check for a boost leak. The firmware should have nothing to do with it. I have ran stage 2 with several different versions of the firmware and nothing performance wise ever really changed for me.

#8 ·
the difference in size is pretty small (but not insignificant) between the 02-05 intercooler and the 06-07 intercooler. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put the older one on but it won't help much. Also, you'd need a custom tune to leverage that little bit of potential out of it. Could it give you an extra hp or two given proper tuning and ideal conditions? Maybe. That's probably not your situation though. I agree, not worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.