06 Turbo Upgrade - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
06 Turbo Upgrade

I know, these threads are a dime a dozen. I'm looking to upgrade my turbo and currently I'm in the research phase. I've been searching and have found some very good information (unabomber's manifesto is great), but I still wouldn't mind a second opinion. I have an '06 WRX stg 2 and was looking at the Blouch big 16g which claims to make near 380hp (with the appropriate tune and mods of course). However, I've also gathered that 16g's are generally better paired with 2.0L engines and that there have been boost issues with the TD05 housings.

I know there are going to be other mods I will have to do (fuel pump, fmic, tune etc), but to get about 280-290whp out of a turbo that would suit a daily driver (approx 50 miles a day) nicely is where I'm having an issue. I'm heading down to my local tuner next week to get a new clutch put in so I will surely ask him as well, but any suggestions that people may have, especially if you are in a similar situation, would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I would go with an HTA68. That is what I am considering for my car.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#3 Old 08-15-2009, 12:38 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You dont NEED a FMIC at all, especially on a 16G, a bigger TMIC will suffice. And the HP is at the crank. Im running a blouch TDO6-20G at 330 AWHP on a mustang dyno. Look at the 18G for just about 300 or so HP at the wheels. You will need bigger injectors, fuel pump, a bigger IC (not neccessarily FMIC) and you should also look into a 3 port BCS.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
I would go with an HTA68. That is what I am considering for my car.
I think that might just be a little too aggressive for me and my stock tranny at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You dont NEED a FMIC at all, especially on a 16G, a bigger TMIC will suffice. And the HP is at the crank. Im running a blouch TDO6-20G at 330 AWHP on a mustang dyno. Look at the 18G for just about 300 or so HP at the wheels. You will need bigger injectors, fuel pump, a bigger IC (not neccessarily FMIC) and you should also look into a 3 port BCS.
I know the HP is at the crank, but I figured it would net down to about 280-290 when considering a 25-30% drivetrain loss. I've read a lot of people with the 2.5L engine going with an 18g (comparing it to going with a 16g if you have a 2.0L), but the big 16g and EVOIII 16g seem to be making close to what an 18g makes with more low end power. Have you heard of any boost/reliability issues though with the TD05 housing setup?
#5 Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well considering a 30% drivetrain loss on my car, I would have 429 HP at the crank, on a mustang dyno. And 380 HP at the crank is 266 at the wheels with a 30% loss. Mosc has a 16G on his 04 STI making about 276 HP on only 17 PSI (that works out to 358 at the crank). You will probably have next to no lag, and it will be great on low end. But you really dont leave yourself room to grow at all.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Well considering a 30% drivetrain loss on my car, I would have 429 HP at the crank, on a mustang dyno. And 380 HP at the crank is 266 at the wheels with a 30% loss. Mosc has a 16G on his 04 STI making about 276 HP on only 17 PSI (that works out to 358 at the crank). You will probably have next to no lag, and it will be great on low end. But you really dont leave yourself room to grow at all.
I might be missing something, but did you mean mosc is making 385 at the crank? Also, is a 30% loss a more liberal or conservative estimate (for example the generic COBB stg2 map on their website claims an 06/07 wrx makes 224whp with just stage 2 upgrades)? I understand a 16g is at the smaller end, but going for the big16g or evoIII seems like it will supply a significant power upgrade over stage 2 that will still be within my stock tranny limit (knock on wood). I guess my other option would be to go with the 18g and just get it tuned for lower output.
#7 Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
TD05H-18G 8cm would be a great choice for a 2.5L/EJ255.

I have a Blouch 18G 8cm on my EJ257 hybrid and its a great turbo for a DD...I made 320whp at 16PSI on a DynoJet (see my profile for a link to my dynochart). It has an awesome powerband and great response w/ minimal lag.
#8 Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Yes Mosc with his 16G on an 04 STI is making 380 HP at the crank. 30% is what many say is what the drivetrain loss if for our cars. To be honest I dont really know. Just think of all the moving parts, trying to get all four wheels to spin. My 16PSI map for my 20G makes about 290 to all four wheels according to a mustang dyno. Just remember you have to be happy with your car, no one else. Do what you want and what fits your budget. Any of the turbos mentioned will be an improvement over stage 2.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
I think budget/performance/goal wise its really coming down to either the blouch big16g/evoIII, or an 18g (comes ported already). However, both use the same TD05 housing, it just seems the 18g has a bigger compressor wheel. That said, the "max" horsepower listed for evoIII is 395 compared to the 18g @ 400hp, yet the 18g tends to be on average 150-200 dollars more expensive (just for reference, Blouch - Turbochargers - WRX/STi 2002-2007 - Subaru - CI Motorsports). I guess I'm just trying to really nail down the difference between the big 16 and the 18
#10 Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 PM

I have been all up and down that site, lol. The 18G will give you much more top end on the car, maybe a little slower spool time, but bigger numbers all together.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.V View Post
I think budget/performance/goal wise its really coming down to either the blouch big16g/evoIII, or an 18g (comes ported already). However, both use the same TD05 housing, it just seems the 18g has a bigger compressor wheel. That said, the "max" horsepower listed for evoIII is 395 compared to the 18g @ 400hp, yet the 18g tends to be on average 150-200 dollars more expensive (just for reference, Blouch - Turbochargers - WRX/STi 2002-2007 - Subaru - CI Motorsports). I guess I'm just trying to really nail down the difference between the big 16 and the 18
Incorrect. They do not use the same compressor housing.

TD05H-EVO 3 16G uses a TD05 compressor housing w/an EVO 3 16G compressor wheel and TD05H turbine wheel. TD05H-18G uses a TD06 compressor housing w/an TD06 18G compressor wheel and a TD05H Turbine wheel. So their turbine wheels are the same, while their compressor housings and compressor wheels are different.
#12 Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
c2bcool is correct if you click on the turbo....it gives you the details.
#13 Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Thanks for the info...I was basically debating between a blouch evoIII or an 18g, but now I am also considering the HTA68. I'm trying to keep it in the 900 or less price range, which made me wonder why for a blouch 18g, for example, runs over 1,000, but for a FP 18g its only 700. What is the 300+ dollar difference? So its basically between the EvoIII, the FP18G, and the FP HTA68
#14 Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There's no problems with the TD05 housing and the 2.5L. The stock housing is a TD04 which is what people bitch about. The TD05 is ideal for the EJ255 in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.V
So its basically between the EvoIII, the FP18G, and the FP HTA68
Good choices. I'm going to throw out a question many people don't ask much with this but how much freeway driving do you do? Basically, the more around town, the smaller turbo you should get. Lag is no fun. If you're mostly just getting on a freeway and going though, it's not much of an issue.

Do you care more about power at 2500rpms or 6000rpms? Personally, months go by between times I get my car over 60mph. At the same time, I love the low end response from the smaller TD05-16G.

Do you crave numbers to brag about or performance?

EDIT: A lot of the money difference between turbos is on the port an polish job. It's a great value if you care about spool and low end response. Blouch includes more on it's turbos than other companies do.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 08-17-2009, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
There's no problems with the TD05 housing and the 2.5L. The stock housing is a TD04 which is what people bitch about. The TD05 is ideal for the EJ255 in my opinion.

Good choices. I'm going to throw out a question many people don't ask much with this but how much freeway driving do you do? Basically, the more around town, the smaller turbo you should get. Lag is no fun. If you're mostly just getting on a freeway and going though, it's not much of an issue.

Do you care more about power at 2500rpms or 6000rpms? Personally, months go by between times I get my car over 60mph. At the same time, I love the low end response from the smaller TD05-16G.

Do you crave numbers to brag about or performance?

EDIT: A lot of the money difference between turbos is on the port an polish job. It's a great value if you care about spool and low end response. Blouch includes more on it's turbos than other companies do.
Good question. Honestly, I would appreciate a turbo where you could feel it making power between 30-80mph (so not very top end) which is why I was considering the 16g based turbos and maybe the 18g. If it came down to it, I care more about performance over bragging rights and a turbo that makes power at 2500rpms over 6000rpms. Considering these reasons, it seems like the HTA68 is a great compromise between low end power with high end potential (tuned accordingly of course)

The car is a daily driver and most of miles come from the freeway, if that helps, I do about 50 miles a day highway. Like you, I also wouldn't enjoy lag which is why I've kind of ruled out larger turbos. At this point, I really don't aspire to push anywhere further than 280-300whp.

Thanks for the help