06 Modds need opinion - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, you reflash your ECU to accomodate the larger aftermarket downpipe and all the associated changes it will cause to your engine. A Stage 2 map (as in Cobb's off the shelf maps that come with their AccessPORT unit, or a "Stage 2" protune, or any number of maps that can be downloaded for a fee and installed using a Tactrix cable) basically just changes the parameters in your car's comuter so everything runs properly.

Also, you can install a cat back any time without a tune.

The downpipe is when you'll need the tune for sure.

You could also get a K&N (or other) panel air filter if you want a little more power and slightly more noise than stock and install that any time without a tune.

The part number for spark plugs that you want is: NGK LFR6AIX (Iridium)

With the aftermarket bpv, your car might run poorly with one of Cobb's off the shelf maps. However, if you get a protune, you should be ok.

Also, the snorkus delete can be done any time without a tune.

AND you can also get a lightweight (NOT underdriven) crank pulley and install that any time without a tune if you want to blow another hundred or so bucks.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boyswrx is an unknown
what is the exact name of the HKS blow off valve i should pick up, ive research hybrid but i have found nothing, all ive found is super sequential
#18 Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
You shouldn't pick up any aftermarket blow off valve. Stick with the stock one. Seriously. For more woosh and turbo spool sounds between shifts, perform the intake snorkus delete mod and get a K&N filter or short ram intake w/ heat shield from SPT or Cobb.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#19 Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I dont think that HKS makes a hybrid BPV that I know of (ones I know are Cobb, GFB, TurboSmart, maybe TurboXS also). But heres this:HKS USA Bypass Valves

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
TurboXS does indeed make one, and it's almost identical to the COBB except all silver in color.

-Chris
#21 Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boyswrx is an unknown
i have already done the snorkus delete will the filter make that big of a noise difference??
that all i want is a nice noise that peoploe can hear from the side walk
#22 Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't know about the drop-in filter, but a short ram or cold air intake will make it quite audible. If you're getting tuned and want to spend the 150-200 on the intake, go for it. If you aren't planning on a tune, just do a drop in.

-Chris
#23 Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cobb, SPT or Mode Racing are just about the same as stock and dont need tuned for if you are trying to hear the turbo spool more and the BPV vent. When I added my Cobb intake the turbo spool and the BPV were very noticable afterwards.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#24 Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boyswrx is an unknown
any reviews on the cobb bpv?
#25 Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Like you mean from personal experience? Its an awesome piece. I bought it as soon I saw it was on the market. For two reasons; 1)Im a Cobb whore, lol, and 2) my Perrin unit took a crap on me (partially my fault, partially theirs). It was super easy to install, and it sounds real nice (at least from inside). I know that its loud tho, cause when my windows rolled down, its a completely different sound than when its rolled up (this all of course while the BPV is ran in "hybrid" mode).

This is of my car:

This is another clip I found on youtube:

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#26 Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Calvin7658 is an unknown
If you get a short ram air intake, then you will hear the stock BPV. But if it's straight decibals that you're looking for i would go with the TurboXS RFL BOV. The RFL stands for Really F***ing Loud.
#27 Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boyswrx is an unknown
i dont want a full atmosphere blow off lookin at the turboxs hybrid..what do yea think about that vs the cobb
#28 Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxwoo is an unknown
I'm also new here just got rid of a 05srt4 for a 06 wrx non sti. I still can't find the anwser to how much hp can these stock internals handle? Id don't know what to do weather its worth doing just bolt ons or buying a sti swap? Any ideas? Would like to make 400 but I dout it so maybe about 300hp would be ok. I wanna do this right so I'm not wasting $$