Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 Modds need opinion

7K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  wrxwoo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im new to this forum
recently picked up a 06 wrx. my plans are to try and keep it as stock as possible considering its my everyday driver including canada's winters. my plans
1. spark plugs- NGK Laser Iridium- what do you think? good plugs yes no?
2.exhuast- all sounds aside what should i do for best performance. eg. header or cat back..
3. Blow off valve- wondering what ones the best for performance and noise. what is needed to tune your car afterwards.
4. Air intake- what is the best one and what do i need to do when im done installing
5. anythiny else?- should i consider fuel filter ect.??

Please let me know what you think.
Boy!Thumbs Up

#2 ·
As I seem to be suggesting alot lately ACCESSPORT! CobbTuning.com - Home Page Best first mod you can do IMHO. You dont even need new plugs until 60k miles. When/if it's time just stick to what your owners manual suggest mabye one step colder. For exhaust get a bellmouth downpipe and whatever you like the sound of to complete your exhaust. You shouldnt need a bov. If you must get one it should be a bpv (recirculating). No need for an intake. The stock one is pretty well designed. If you want to hear it then just do the snorkus delete (free). If you really want a intake The only manufacturers of intakes that claim in writing not to cause any ill effects are:
a. TurboXS
b. APS
c. Perrin (based on personal email correspondance with Perrin)
d. K&N Typhoon (based on testing by nhluhr and testing by AaronWRX, both NASIOC members) These tests were performed on an STi and their effect on WRX A/F ratios is untested.
e. Cobb Tuning
f. SPT
As for anything els just make sure all your maintenance is up to date.

#4 ·
can i get a recirculation valve that has the same sort of noise as a BOV, what will an aftermarket BPV do for me?
for exhaust i am under the impression to get rid for the up pipe and down pipe cat. should i buy an after marker down and up pipe for this and if so which ones are good, cobb and what other names are their so i can check them out?

#6 ·
I am running well over stock power and still running stock heat range spark plugs with no problem, so dont even worry about spark plugs. I wouldnt even worry about an intake either, my tuner said I shouldnt have wasted my money on mine for my upgrade. As stated above you need some type of EM (engine management) if you want to add more actual power to the car. As far as the exhaust a good bellmouth will get you the most bang for the buck added with the EM. And I run the Cobb XLE BOV in "hybrid" mode, still recirculates air to keep the car happy, and when in high boost will vent to the atmosphere. Even then the BOV/BPV isnt needed until running HIGH boost as the stocker will usually hold to 20PSI. But Perrin makes a decent BPV that can be heard better than stock, Turbosmart GFB (Go Fast Bits) also make nice BPVs.

#7 · (Edited)
im looking for a nice perr to m exhaust and a nice performance, nothing major cause you cant really get much from that but as for the BOV/BPV i am looking for the blow off "PSHHH" sound .
the air intake idea was for noise aswell
im not looking for crazy horse

queastions, who makes the best downpipe for the car
i am just looking for noise from the BOV shopuld i stick with the BPV but an aftermarket one?

#8 ·
Your best bet for that would be getting a hybrid valve. They only vent to atmosphere under high load, so you maintain drive-ability under regular driving conditions. Your second best bet would be doing at least the snorkus delete, unless you really do want to do an intake and get tuned for it. I run the Perrin cold air on my 09, which appear to actually benefit from an intake compared to earlier models, and I can hear the "psshht" in car like I'm venting to atmosphere.

#11 ·
Cobb, Turbosmart, and GFB probably make some of the best "hybrid" BPVs out there. As far as intake then go with either Cobb,Mode Racing, or SPT as they are pretty much like stock and you can get a heat sheild/box with it to kind of keep temps down. As far as "best" thats a matter of opinion. I honestly believe that Cobb makes one of the best ones out there, also the most expensive one. As long as you get a quality bellmouth designed DP you will be fine.

#12 ·
First of all, welcome! I'm always happy to see another hawkeye around here.
1. I did a bunch of research on spark plugs a little while back and here's what I found: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/man-shows-spark-plug-info-27782/
2. For absolute best performance, get a bellmouth style downpipe, any 3" cat back, and equal length headers OR Grimmspeed PnP w/ high-flow crosspipe (although you'll lose the signature subaru boxer rumble if you get equal length headers - but to some, the performance gains are worth it... since you want to remain mostly stock, the grimmspeed pnp/coated option might be the way to go along with a nice tbe and stage 2 tune)
3. Honestly, don't worry about the blow off valve - atmospheric, hybrid, or full recirc. Just do the intake silencer delete (a.k.a. snorkus mod) and get a K&N or other drop in panel filter and call it a day.
4. See #3. Otherwise, if you MUST have an intake, get an SPT intake with a heat shield. I don't believe Cobb makes theirs any more, but I could be wrong or maybe you can find one somewhere if you look around.
5. If I were you, I'd just buy a nice turbo back exhaust and get a stage 2 tune and that should probably keep you happy for a while. That can be done on somewhat of a budget if that's a concern, or you can go all out and get some really nice equipment. Either way, I'd suggest that setup and try it out for a while while you save up because the next step above that is to upgrade your turbo (which means also a bigger intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, and usually some other goodies... and a tune)

Read the Manifesto and see if you have any other questions. And again, welcome!

In my opinion, Cobb makes the best downpipe for 02-07 WRXs and STis. Get the Street version with a high-flow cayalytic converter. You'll only lose several (5 +/-) hp because of it, but you'll remain slightly more legal, pollute less, etc.

#16 ·
Yeah, you reflash your ECU to accomodate the larger aftermarket downpipe and all the associated changes it will cause to your engine. A Stage 2 map (as in Cobb's off the shelf maps that come with their AccessPORT unit, or a "Stage 2" protune, or any number of maps that can be downloaded for a fee and installed using a Tactrix cable) basically just changes the parameters in your car's comuter so everything runs properly.

Also, you can install a cat back any time without a tune.

The downpipe is when you'll need the tune for sure.

You could also get a K&N (or other) panel air filter if you want a little more power and slightly more noise than stock and install that any time without a tune.

The part number for spark plugs that you want is: NGK LFR6AIX (Iridium)

With the aftermarket bpv, your car might run poorly with one of Cobb's off the shelf maps. However, if you get a protune, you should be ok.

Also, the snorkus delete can be done any time without a tune.

AND you can also get a lightweight (NOT underdriven) crank pulley and install that any time without a tune if you want to blow another hundred or so bucks.

#18 ·
You shouldn't pick up any aftermarket blow off valve. Stick with the stock one. Seriously. For more woosh and turbo spool sounds between shifts, perform the intake snorkus delete mod and get a K&N filter or short ram intake w/ heat shield from SPT or Cobb.

#23 ·
Cobb, SPT or Mode Racing are just about the same as stock and dont need tuned for if you are trying to hear the turbo spool more and the BPV vent. When I added my Cobb intake the turbo spool and the BPV were very noticable afterwards.

#25 ·
Like you mean from personal experience? Its an awesome piece. I bought it as soon I saw it was on the market. For two reasons; 1)Im a Cobb whore, lol, and 2) my Perrin unit took a crap on me (partially my fault, partially theirs). It was super easy to install, and it sounds real nice (at least from inside). I know that its loud tho, cause when my windows rolled down, its a completely different sound than when its rolled up (this all of course while the BPV is ran in "hybrid" mode).

This is of my car:

This is another clip I found on youtube:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.