'06 exhaust question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

deftonesfan7 is an unknown
Question '06 exhaust question

howdy ya'll. i have been trying to look at other threads but didnt really get what i needed. I have been reading that exhaust is the best first mod to do, which i agree with. I wanted to get a whole kit, downpipe and back. i heard also that on the '06 i dont need to get a uppipe cause they upgraded it from the older models. is that true?
so on the exhaust, i think in the state of colorado it is requiered to have a cat. so what exhaust system do any of you recomend that is a turboback exhaust that comes with a cat? i really enjoyed the jound of the helix that i heard in an online video. thanks for all your help and this is a great site for people into WRX. cant wait till i break my new car in to unleash the beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
I'm not sure about Colorado, but from what I understand, no aftermarket cat is legal.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#3 Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
No, the 06 does not need an up pipe, because the took the cats out, before 06 poeple changed them out not for the performance, but for the safety of the turbo. The sensor could have broke and got sucked into the turbo, but no you do not need one. For the Helix, if you saw it on Scoobydude,com the black wrx it sounds awesome. But that was on the 2.0, you have the 2.5 so it should sound louder, it would only make sence but Im not sure. It also depends on how loud you want your car to be. I know the Helix sounds good as well as HKS HiPower and Perrin. Perrin being the loudest of the three. (I have only heard these on the EJ20, not the EJ2.5). If you want something a little quieter go for the Borla hush or the SPT. Hope this helped

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#4 Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Ryan, you've got the right idea, but not quite. The uppipe cat's what you have to worry about breaking apart and getting sucked into the turbo.

To the OP. Find out what they do for emissions testing and then you can make your exhaust decision then. If they do visual and all of that jazz, you're hit with anything other than stock. Save your stock exhaust for this purpose.

If they just do OBDII, make sure that you either A) put the stock exhaust back on and reset the ECU before testing. Or, B) Make sure that you have a cel fix if you try to run the aftermarket exhaust. Make sure that you don't have any cel's.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#5 Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Most of us go cat-less, and just save your original exhaust for when emmision time comes and you can switch back.
Helix, Perrin and Invidia are the most common TBE for our cars
#6 Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

jabtsi is an unknown
http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/

They have a tbe with a cat for 06