Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 exhaust leak

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  drex 10983 
#1 ·
heres a dumb question......just got installed greddy sp2 cat back and helix downpipe(no cell)knock. how do i know if theres a leak in my exhaust? I sorta smell fumes with my windows rolled down, and is kinda loud(heard sp2 isnt supposed to be that loud). If not when i get the ap will it even be louder??

#2 ·
Just my imput, but usually when you get a new exhaust you smell fumes for a few miles. I had a custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust on my 94 Talon and it smelled for a few days of driving. For one, the gaskets will heat up and cause some of the smell, and the main smell will come from the special oil on the pipe that companies will use to keep the pipe from stress cracking while they mandrel bend it.

As far as leaks, get someone to peak there head under while you rev it. It will give you an idea of a possible leak, and where it might be coming from.

The loudness. Sorry dude, I havent done enough research on that exhaust to give my input.

Hope this helps man

#3 ·
Look around all of the joints where the exhaust parts meet. If you see carbon build-up you have a leak. If you're fully cat-less, you're going to have more odor due to the lack of them.

#6 ·
Kjott21 said:
I like the GReddy Evo2 exhuast. It sounds nice but not too much louder than stock.
that is until you add in the catless downpipe. ok, ok, funny story. I just got pulled over tonight by a cop(sherrif) maybe upper 20s lowerer 30s. I wasnt speeding but i know he pulled me over for the noise because i opened it up a little. He then told me that he pulled me over because in NY state it is illegal to modify you exhaust because eventhough it may pass emissions(which it doesnt), it is illegal to modify your exhaust because it changes the sound of the factory one. The thing is is that he didnt right me a ticket because he said that my ride sounds awesome. Ha!

still a little loud for me though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.