Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   05 sti with 93k miles for $12k (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/05-sti-93k-miles-12k-27821/)

srninjastar 12-19-2009 01:11 PM

05 sti with 93k miles for $12k

it has a 4 puct ACT clutch new DBA slotted rotors, hawk pads, and has not been moded. i just emailed the guy asking a bunch of questions about how old he was to how were the miles put on the car to if he raced the car or had taken it to the track. if things check out ill be taking my friend (master mechanic) and have him bring all his stuff, including the things to do a compression test. its relatively close by 150miles away, rather than being out of state.

just wanted to get your input about what i should be looking in particular for. cause 93k is alot of miles for an 05, not to mention he has that clutch on there which has been kinda throwing me off.

ratfink 12-19-2009 03:08 PM

I would make sure the t-belt got changed, it would suck to have that break on the way home. Otherwise, just look for signs of mods being removed. Look for factory heat shield etc.

srninjastar 12-19-2009 03:22 PM

what i was gona do is if everthing is running fine i was gona drive back to houston and go to the local suby dealership and have them replace everthing on the car. all belts, all fluids, injectors, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, evvveerrryyything. cause my check is for 14,653. and he wants it for $13(not 12 woops) and then factoring title and registration fees, ill end up with 1k to spend. so 1k to just replace everything seems like a good idea to me. so that when its done it will be in prime shape.

man show 12-19-2009 03:33 PM

Don't forget to check out the tires - that's several hundred bucks right there.

ratfink 12-19-2009 03:41 PM

Good point, my 08 came with crap tires. Why they were replaced at 14k I'll never understand.

I wouldn't pay the dealer for that, but it's up to you. If you do that make sure you have them use subaru synthetic on the trans and diff. Way better lube.

ratfink 12-19-2009 03:43 PM

I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! v

turmic 12-19-2009 05:40 PM

I would think if he paid to put a 4 puct in there. It had to be driven hard for some period of time. 4-pucts and 6 pucts are not normally something you put in just to drive it lightly.

srninjastar 12-19-2009 10:13 PM

i asked the guy about that 4-puct clutch. he didnt know what he was doing. he said he regrets puting it on there and that that was the only modd he did other than prodrive springs or coilovers...i forget

RcrsWetDream 12-20-2009 10:46 PM

When/if you test drive it you'll probably see why he regrets putting that clutch in... Probably pretty stiff.

The way I see it though, don't find a high mileage STi just because it's an STi... If you find a WRX with half the miles for the same price (or at least with a lot less miles for the same price), to me that seem to be the better buy... I would think that an STi would be driven harder over its lifetime than a comparable WRX (nature of the beast). Yeah you get some nice things with an STi, but that doesn't matter if she craps out and needs a new engine in a year. Just my .02

turmic 12-21-2009 06:04 PM

It depends on the driver. If that's the original driver and its a elderly man that didn't really beat on it like a younger driver. Then the high mileage is all relative. It could also be a ton of highway miles. It all depends. Especially if the car was very well maintained.

srninjastar 12-22-2009 12:46 AM

the car was driven by an elderly guy with a family. the miles were put on from going back and forth to tulsa. hes never modded the car, takn it to the track or raced it hard. it has new tires brakes and clutch. i asked him why he put the clutch on there he said he just needed to get something on there that was a better than the stock one. im gona drive up there with my mechanic friends and all and have them do a run down on it and run a compression test and check for leaks and all that jazz. if everything goes to plan ill probably buy it.

turmic 12-22-2009 11:40 AM

It might be a good deal. Good Luck

jed344 12-22-2009 11:32 PM

maybe and i agree i was looking at a sti was a 04 sti 73k miles salvage tittle then i found a 04 wrx with 51k miles for 3 grand cheaper so was a no brainer for me

turmic 12-26-2009 06:34 PM

Salvage titles are a gamble at times. IE: Was it fixed properly??

VD5505 12-26-2009 08:11 PM

Hope it all works out for ya man, let us know what you end up doing. Like said up above look really good at the engine to see if it has been modded, easy ways are look at the head of the bolts to see if they have been taken on and off, and look for heat shields to see if they are on there as well. Also maybe any sort of of documented maintenance done to the car.