wrx or sti? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

denverliciou is an unknown
wrx or sti?

k im not sure if this has been beaten to death, but im looking to get an 05 wrx sti. but as ive been reading there arent that many people with it yet. so is it worth it to go out and get the STI or should i just get the WRX. which is more mod friendly? cause i plan on doing some serious mods. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
I would say that it depends on how much money you have to spend on serious mods, it's going to take a good bit of money to get a wrx to the sti level. From what I have read on this forum Cosmo has mods that surpass the sti's performance check with him and see what will work better for you.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
It seems like they are just as easy to mod as the WRX but the STi starts out much more powerful.

The STi has a better transmission and will not require expensive transmission upgrades untill you reach insane horsepower numbers, the WRX will need a better transmission much sooner. The STi starts with a better suspension and interior. Driver controlled differential, etc etc...

The only three reasons I can see for getting a WRX over an STi are the following:
1) the WRX is cheaper
2) they don't make an STi wagon for the U.S.
3) they have made WRXs in the US for longer so you can find them cheaper used
post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ahh i see what you guys mean. well i guess it's the STi for me then. id rather pay the extra for the STi then mod it..cause if it's so sick right out the box..then modding will just make it that much sicker thx guys..but yea more info would be great
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
It depends on what you want to do. Out of the box, the STi is a much better car all around. Better engine. Better drivetrain. Better suspension. Less comfortable seats . But, that comes at a price. Usually $7k or so. Only recently are mods for the STi becoming more readily available. Many of the bolt on parts are interchangable between the STi and WRX. But, electronic mods (engine management mainly) have only recently become available for the STi.

My situation is this.... I have a car that puts out more power than an STi. A pretty good bit more. And I have spent less total on the car with the mods than if I was to have bought an STi. However, I bought my car before the STi was available. If I had to do it over again, and could afford it, I'd get the STi. Well, if they made it in yellow, that is...
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

THANKS MAN..so do you think that if you put an sti and a wrx next to each..spent the same amount of money on the same mods. would the sti come out on top?

and hey COSMO..can you give me resaons to why you would chose the STi if you were do it all over again? thanks!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
If you put the same amount of money, or even the same exact mods on an STi and a WRX, the STi would win.

Put a the same turbo on each car, same intercooler, same engine mangement (although the STi already has bigger injectors), same exhaust, and other supporting mods, and the STi will win. That extra .5L makes a big difference.

The STi drivetrain is the main thing I like about it. It's easy enough to make an engine put out more power. It's considerably more difficult to make sure something isn't going to break in the process. I have never heard of anyone breaking the STi transmission.

Plus, the STi has a better suspension from the factory. It also has better wheels and tires. I hate the STi seats, but that is something I think I could get used to if I had to.

The STi is probably the closest thing to being race-ready you can buy for under $100k. At the last three autocrosses here, a bone stock STi has won. It also outruns most all other cars at the drag strip. The only ones that beat it have twice as many cylinders.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sweet thanks for the info man..im really excited now about getting it..can't wait to start modding..damn i swear it's an addiction
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Ya, there's an stock STi at our AutoX that always comes out on the top 3 if not 1st. Last event it beat cars including 3 WRX's, 2 mini coopers, 2 miatas, and an Evo.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
im pretty sure that a WRX is also cheaper to insure.

i test drove an STI, it was a lot faster than my WRX, which was stock at the time

but i really, really didnt like the gearing in that car. shifting into 3rd to hit 60mph bugged me, but everything else i liked, especially the gauge cluster!

the seats where ok, but the color annoyed me, i like black seats.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 06:09 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
There is no way I can see an stock STi beating a stock Evo in an AutoX. I'm sorry, the Evo has so much better handling. There must have been driver error.

On the other hand, here is what I've always said...If you can put together the money to purchase an STi, do it, you WON'T regret it.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

2005Sti is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2005Sti
Love my '05 Sti, just watch for the boost creep that is a problem with some DP and Exhaust combos, the reason I am buying a UTEC next week. BUT if you add up the extra's its worth it, and the insurance isnt much at all, about the same as I was paying when I had a 97 eclipse, my new winter car lol. Great car, with so many upgrades, loved the WRX then drove an STi, was sold. Either way you cant go wrong....Its a subaru
post #13 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 01:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Sti
Love my '05 Sti, just watch for the boost creep that is a problem with some DP and Exhaust combos, the reason I am buying a UTEC next week. BUT if you add up the extra's its worth it, and the insurance isnt much at all, about the same as I was paying when I had a 97 eclipse, my new winter car lol. Great car, with so many upgrades, loved the WRX then drove an STi, was sold. Either way you cant go wrong....Its a subaru
insuring my 04 wrx added $900 a year to my insurance costs

it helps to have a 12 year old beater car with 4 doors, automatic seatbelts, and no power.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-13-2005, 01:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
keep this in mind for insurance, a wrx is considered an awd sedan the sti is considered an awd SPORT sedan. that makes a big diff. at least for my insurance it does.then again i am also only 18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement