WRX Stereo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
WRX Stereo

Well right now I have a 2006 WRX TR with all stock radio. Gettin sick of the stock-ness. Looking for something nice, but kind of inexpensive. Budget on the stereo isnt a huge deal, just no 4500 dollar deals. I went by the stereo place here and they quoted me 4200 bucks to do 2 10"s in my trunk with a kenwood head unit and mid-range door speakers. That was outrageous when he tallied it up all I could do was at him. He kept pushing my into stuff and I was like you know what...you havent listened to one thing that I have said the whole time I was here, so I am going to leave. I am looking around, and maybe will get in in-dash DVD player. Who knows. Can I get some suggestions on brands and what to get. I have heard 12"s may not be accurate enough, but I don't listen to metal or anything. I have had 10"s and thought that they didnt hit hard enough (RF P2's) so I want something to hit harder. I will need a whole new setup. So if I could get suggestions on a head unit (maybe a screen) door speakers, amps, and subs. Thank you.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
As far as equipment recommendations:

Head unit - Alpine or Clarion. Kenwood makes a decent deck as well.
Amps - JL Audio, Xtant, or my personal fave, Precision Power. I would say Rockford Fosgate, but I don't really care for anything that they've produced after the old punch series amps.
Speakers - Infinity, Polk, Clarion, Alpine, or my personal fave, MB Quart. I love the way they sound.
Subs - I've always had good luck with either JL or Rockford Fosgate. Kicker makes a nice sub too, the L7 subs are insane.

As far as subs and accuracy is concerned, I've always used sealed boxes. I can't stand the boomy ported boxes that are good for a limited frequency range. Sealed is the way to go if you listen to anything other than rap.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Yeah I will definatley go sealed. Now I have 2 sets of 10"s ready to go.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #4 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Damn, you trying to blow the trunklid off? !Laugh!

post #5 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Well the 4 10"s are getting sold and going for 2 12"s. Or 1 12" in a good box. Has anyone heard anything about P27 subs?

Brent
post #6 of 16 Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Right now I'm building a fiberglass set up with two 12" pushing about 1600W total. If anyone wants to see that trunk lid fly I think it's me. I had this same set up in my Tiburon last year and I couldn't turn the head unit up past 30% total volume unless I wanted my glass to shatter or my ears to start bleeding. Yes, it happened at a show. I was only running 50% and my hatchback glass lifted out of the seal and shattered after I think it was Petey Pablo Still Writing in My Diary 2 Track number 17. Only about 4 seconds of the song played and I just heard glass hitting the top of my amp and people gasping. If you don't want something like that to happen, don't put that large of a system in a hatchback. Now that I have the WRX I don't have to worry as much about glass breaking.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi
Right now I'm building a fiberglass set up with two 12" pushing about 1600W total. If anyone wants to see that trunk lid fly I think it's me. I had this same set up in my Tiburon last year and I couldn't turn the head unit up past 30% total volume unless I wanted my glass to shatter or my ears to start bleeding. Yes, it happened at a show. I was only running 50% and my hatchback glass lifted out of the seal and shattered after I think it was Petey Pablo Still Writing in My Diary 2 Track number 17. Only about 4 seconds of the song played and I just heard glass hitting the top of my amp and people gasping. If you don't want something like that to happen, don't put that large of a system in a hatchback. Now that I have the WRX I don't have to worry as much about glass breaking.

Hmm im calling the BS card...what kind of subs you got?

I was running 2 Audiobahn Flame q 12s with close to 3,000watts and the ears didnt bleed and the glass didnt break "Grant it, was in a mustang"

What kind of subs

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #8 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Ok I am ready to buy my setup. What size door speakers do I need? How many watts do I need to run 12"s? I know I dont have enough with my RF amps because I was almost underpowering 10"s with them. Where is a good place to buy online? I am a little hesitant to buy from eBay mostly because I want to buy it from one place to lower shipping fees. Who makes the best 12" subs, what type of box should I get, what brand door speakers should I get, what features on the head unit do I want (I dont need to be that technical) and who makes good amps? Thank you very much!

Brent
post #9 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
And yes I call BS on 03craxytaxi. How did you hear the glass on your amps if the music was so loud it broke the glass? It wouldnt stop the music if your glass broke and it wouldnt get much quieter.

Brent
post #10 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

The story might be a little exaggerated, but how do you guys know that he wasn't standing outside of the car when this happened? If you were sitting inside the car I could understand the music being too loud to hear the glass above it, but if you were outside, it sounds possible.

Anyways, back on tpic.

If you want to shop online, I would tell you to go with crutchfield. Other than that, I would say go to your local stereo shop. Best Buy and Curcuit City guys are all supposed to be certified, this is always an option too.
Support your local commerce.

Also, are you going to install an aftermarket security system? People can say what they want about car alarms, but I've never lost anything in a car equipped with one. I'll always have one in a car that has stereo equipment in it.

post #11 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Well I just went to Tweeters today and to my surprise the installer just bought a 04 WRX! So we started talking and he was going crazy trying to find speakers that are a direct fit. Turns out I think the company is called Focal? but they make a dirrect replacement component speaker, buy the way... they are over $500 bucks! ( No thanks) But Boston makes the SX55 model that fits in our doors with no problem and alot cheaper. So you need 5 1/4 size speakers for your doors and there is only a couple brands that are a dirrect fit.
My stereo will be complete in 2 weeks!
post #12 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

+1 for Bostons. I've never owned their subs, but I had some seperates that sounded awesome. I had a PPI PC250 on them and they

post #13 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Well I will consider an alarm. I ran 2 10"s in clear view and 2 amps in clear view in my 4runner with no real alarm just a blinking light.

Brent
post #14 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
What size are the door speakers? Crutchfeild says they are 4" speakers and that seems like a rear door speaker to me. Are they supposed to be 5.25 in the front?

Kenwood KAC-7252 170W x 2 Car Amp
Yes $229.99

Panasonic CQ-C7103U CD/MP3/WMA iPod Ready Player

Vehicle: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan without factory subwoofer (change)
Yes $199.99

Receiver Kit 003UPK750
Yes $14.99

FREE

Receiver Harness 120708901
Yes $12.99

Panasonic CX-DP880 8-disc CD Changer
$179.99

Q-Logic QLH-1.0012DS Double 12" Hatch/Trunk Box-Vol=1.0 cubic
Yes $149.99

Polk Audio MM 2124 12" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
Yes $279.98

EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord
Yes $29.99

Vehicle: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan without factory subwoofer
Yes $4.99

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Amplifier Installation
Yes

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: In-Dash Receiver Installation
Yes

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Peripherals Installation
Yes

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Vibration Damping Installation
Yes

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Subwoofer Installation
Yes

FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Full-Range Speakers Installation
Yes

FREE

Merchandise Subtotal

$1,069.93

Standard Shipping

Other shipping options

FREE
Order Total $1,069.93

I figure after door speakers I will be around 1,600 bucks. I will install most of this myself. Does this sound good? 2 12" polk/momo subs in a sealed box so it is more accurate, a nice head unit that is iPod compatible, 500 rms watt amp, and nice door speakers for this price?

Brent
post #15 of 16 Old 01-28-2006, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

opXus is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Well I just went to Tweeters today and to my surprise the installer just bought a 04 WRX! So we started talking and he was going crazy trying to find speakers that are a direct fit. Turns out I think the company is called Focal? but they make a dirrect replacement component speaker, buy the way... they are over $500 bucks! ( No thanks) But Boston makes the SX55 model that fits in our doors with no problem and alot cheaper. So you need 5 1/4 size speakers for your doors and there is only a couple brands that are a dirrect fit.
My stereo will be complete in 2 weeks!
I have a set of Focal's and they are insane...of course I have mine powered by a Tube Driver which is a bit out of the price range of the original poster.

Anyway

Head Units: Blaupunkt(which I have had 2 of and love them) Alpine (if you want the more flashy ones).

Components: MB Quart's are REAL nice... Boston Accoustics...Focal (which I have)

Amps: Blaupunkt (I have 2 of them powering 2 12" subs no issues with them)

Subs: Boston Accoustics (not very loud and bassy, but GREAT sound) JL's are good for the price, Alpine Type R (i believe)

Also Diamond Audio makes great Subs and components. Kinda pricey tho.

Hope this may have helped.