Subaru WRX Forum banner

-wrx-impreza-major-service-shop-recommendations

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mike001 
#1 ·
Hi I'm a recent owner of a wrx Impreza 1999 MY00 have 26,000 genuine kms on the clock and the major 100,000 km service hasn't been done at all I was told this needs to be done ASAP as I could blow my engine. I was quoted $3000 - $3500 at nrg automotive in Sydney for genuine parts non genuine it was $1700-$2000 does the price seem correct ?? Seems abit over the top can anyone suggest any got suby machinics I've heard bad reviews with dealers and MRT so it's put me off them. I'm based in Sydney western suburbs and I want genuine parts replaced Hope someone may help me.

#2 ·
do you mean 260,000km? and can you break down the list of what work will be done for the price you were quoted?
if the timing belt is in that service quote then it sound about right. while the belt its self is rather inexpensive, the job is labour intensive and will cost alot.

with that being said, if the car has done over 160,000km without any major service, you might want to do alot more than what the mechanic is reccomending as there could be many problems.

gratz on your purchase, the '99 2door is one of my favorites :)

#6 ·
do you mean 260,000km? and can you break down the list of what work will be done for the price you were quoted?
if the timing belt is in that service quote then it sound about right. while the belt its self is rather inexpensive, the job is labour intensive and will cost alot.

with that being said, if the car has done over 160,000km without any major service, you might want to do alot more than what the mechanic is reccomending as there could be many problems.

gratz on your purchase, the '99 2door is one of my favorites

No not 260,000km 26,000km lol there genuine Kms it was a 1 owner 77year old guy looks like factory brand new. The price I was quoted had timing belt changed and all oils and filters changed but when my wife called the suby dealer they said $1300 and that's using genuine parts just seems the price I was quoted was way over the top but I was told not to trust dealer as the skip things and get apprentices doing some of the work.

#3 ·
No not 260,000km 26,000km lol there genuine Kms it was a 1 owner 77year old guy looks like factory brand new.

The price I was quoted had timing belt changed and all oils and filters changed but when my wife called the suby dealer they said $1300 and that's using genuine parts just seems the price I was quoted was way over the top but I was told not to trust dealer as the skip things and get apprentices doing some of the work.

#4 ·
Yeah that is way too high. I can drain the radiator, remove my radiator (which I don't find necessary), remove and reinstall my timing belt, install radiator and burp system in an hour an a half and that is taking drink breaks. IMO they are using what the book says and in this case they will bank on it. If you have automotive knowledge and any self confidence I would recommend doing it yourself but if not then pay someone.

#5 ·
Cheers I don't think I'll feel confident doing my self but I found a different shop they reckon it's over priced but suburu genuine parts they were pretty close to the ball mark. I was recommended to do aftermarket parts as there just as good if not better as I'll be paying extra on the name suburu .

#7 ·
im just confused as to why youre worried about 100,000km service when the car has only done 26,000km

regardless of the odometer, if your timing belt hasnt been done in 14 years, i would highly suggest getting it done. the parts are cheap its just a labour intensive job so it can get pretty expensive for a shop to do it.

dealerships vary. you could get a good one, or you could get one full of crooks. im all for genuine subaru parts, but if its all possible, do the work yourself. it can be very intimidating but alot of this stuff is really easy. i wouldnt say $1300 for that amount of work is alot but it definitely more than i would want to pay.

#8 ·
Every shop I call up keeps telling me since it hasn't had a major since in so long it needs a 100,000km service just so confused cause I get different prices everywhere nrg quoted me $3500 for genuine parts suburu dealer quoted me $1300 I have one guy saying better if I bring it in he will check to see if it needs doing if not then no point spending that sort of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.