Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Wrx Cracked Bumper (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/wrx-cracked-bumper-30324/)

11wrxsoobie 02-26-2011 01:18 PM

Wrx Cracked Bumper

Hey guys I am new to this forum and apologize if this posts in the wrong section. I got a wrx about a month and a half ago. At some point the bumper got cracked. One is not a bad crack probably two inches long and the second crack is a little worse. Right now neither is really obvious unless your really looking and I just don't want either crack to get worse if I can help it. Is it possible to fix bumpers without replacing them or atleast stop the crack from getting worse?

newtothegame 02-26-2011 03:03 PM

There are several methods of doing this. Is it the front or rear bumper? Where about are the cracks located, i.e bottom, top, on a corner? Depending on location and severity it can be "stictched", fiberglassed, and/or bondo'd, or a combination of them. Another option is to take it to a shop or something and get their recommendation about it.

11wrxsoobie 02-27-2011 12:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Both cracks are on the front bumper. One is by the passenger side wheel well and the other is on the bottom of the bumper. I took a couple pictures of both so you could see where they are and the second is a little bit closer.

wagonracer 02-27-2011 01:18 PM

The one on the corner will be tricky because that is a mounting point for the bumper to fender and the inner liner. The other should be pretty easy. You'll need to take it off to do it right and plan leaving it off for full curing time of whatever you use. I've seen Gorilla glue work on bumpers, but we just got a new two stage adhesive at the shop specifically for repairing bumpers. It's called Lord Fusor (no I don't make this stuff up !!) I haven't used it yet but it's supposed to rock.

Hondafan 02-27-2011 06:41 PM

I had to repair a bumper cover on my old Integra before I repainted it, and it was an ABS compund as I recall. I had to hold it in shape while I held heat to it for it to cure. It's a total PITA. You're going to have to repaint the whole bumper cover to have it look flawless again. If you repair it from behind only you can at least get it to stop from getting worse.

11wrxsoobie 03-04-2011 03:56 PM

It sounds like a pain in the ass haha. I think I might just take it to a body shop and see what there opinion is and get an estimate. Do you guys know of any companies that are making body kits for the 2011 yet?

newtothegame 03-04-2011 08:55 PM

Im sure if you looked hard you might find a Voltex, or ChargeSpeed kit, but usually not cheap, especially this early on with the car.

BLAZE2099 03-04-2011 09:06 PM

[IMG]http://body-kitz.com/contents/media/09-wrx-bottom-line-fa.jpg[/IMG]

This seems to be all that I found for it looking briefly, same kit is on chargespeed for twice the dollar from a quick glance on google shopping. Good luck!Thumbs Up

this pic is a chargspeed pic, but from bodykitz.com

newtothegame 03-05-2011 06:48 AM

If Im not mistaken thats probably just their lip kit (5 piece). Its similar to what I have (waiting to be put on). It will probably cover your bottom crack, but do nothing for the upper one.

11wrxsoobie 03-06-2011 09:16 PM

Where they changed the body style on the WRX would a bumper from a STI fit? For instance if I found a body kit for a 2011 4 door STI would that work?

Hondafan 03-07-2011 01:04 AM

[quote=11wrxsoobie;257568]Where they changed the body style on the WRX would a bumper from a STI fit? For instance if I found a body kit for a 2011 4 door STI would that work?[/quote]

I would be willing to bet they are the same. Find someone with an STi and do some measurements. Or find the part number for the front bumper from an autobody repair shop for the generic part and see if you can cross reference it to the STi part. The latter idea might be simpler on paper than in reality. . .

stansand2185 06-11-2011 01:33 AM

I say, I am pretty sure you have to replace them. I also had this same problem a couple of days ago. There are dents and cracks and unwanted stuff around the front. I was having a hard time looking for replacements, because I was too busy working. And so I found a solution that would give me more time in dealing with it. Bought this new set of bumper covers, rear and front for less without going out looking for one in auto repair shops. I'm pretty good at experimenting, which is why I did the job myself. Asked help from friends who are car enthusiasts and mechanics at heart. We were able to get the job done. You might want to try this. or anyone who will bump into this forum shall try this out.

jseniuk 01-12-2013 11:00 PM

just curious to know if (God forbid) your had replaced the bumper cover after this and if it got cracked again in the winter? I had my 2013 for 5 weeks and ran over a mini snow boulder at 20 KM/H and cracked the hell out of my bumper in the same place as yours (front driver side). These bumpers are thin, cheaply made and get really fragile in the cold, I wish that I had known this before buying this car... I am hesitant to replace the bumper because I feel like I will be going through a bumper every winter.

Cheers!

Fidrat 01-13-2013 12:20 AM

State farm insurance,250$ deductible cracked bumper=250$. I've probably cracked every plastic part on the outside of the car at one time or another including fender liners. Many parts multiple times. Ice chunks,raccoons,opossums,curbs,vandals,hail, hit and runs. Hey, It's been a long 10yrs.

I made my 1st car payment on a Friday. That Saturday I took 1800$ in hail damage. I still had the crappy insurance that the dealership gives you just so you can drive it off the lot and I had to pay 1000$ of it because the adjuster didn't know the hood was aluminum and I didn't want to go with paintless dent removal.

One time I swerved to miss a deer,ditched it at 70mph backwards! (snap oversteer) Those seatbelt pretentioners work great! I drove it out of the ditch(AWD)and got it home under it's own power.(Subaru) And I called State Farm. I did 4800$ damage. 100$ deductible.

Bottom line...Have good insurance,keep a low deductible, be careful and let the pros take care of it.!Thumbs Up