Is this a wise decision? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Is this a wise decision?

Okay guys so essentially I feel like My car is to slow, kind of lame due to it being automatic, and is not being used for what it's probably best at (Turns as I am a straight line kind of guy) So recently I have decided to sell the car, My main concerns are getting a v8 and it being faster then what I have now. My car right now puts down 240/230 on a mustang dyno running a small 16g set up, The car I am looking at is a 2000 ws6 trans am with 410 gears and a exhaust and I believe a bit of a tune so mostly stock the car stock came with 320hp/345tq do you guys think A. That this car would be faster then the car I have now? and that B. Out of the v8 selection this would be a wise decision? Supposedly the ws6 is faster then a camaro ss and I can not imagine my car beating a camaro ss... Opinions and Advice greatly appreciated as always guys!

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You are the one driving it, you are the one that has to be happy and live with your decision(s). If you want to go fast in a straight line you really have the wrong turbo and setup to start with, but generally v8s are cheaper and easier for that. No one can make this decision but you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
well with any v8 u lose mpg. 2 if u were thinking about buying another car why not look into an sti or an 09 wrx. vf52 turbo puts down alot of power when its tuned. plus you got awd. thats just my .02 in the end its all up to you. you gota live with it and drive it everyday
#4 Old 07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I first just want to say that i love most cars...i can respect the big V8 cars as much as i can respect a Honda putting out 120+hp per liter. At the end of the day if you want to go fast in a straight line the
Ws6 is a great choice...plus the hood scoop looks pretty sick on those...get ready to invest in fuel but like the others said....its what you have to drive everyday, its your choice.
#5 Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
If you are all about straight line, yea subbies are not really meant for 1/4 mile.

I ask that you atleast drive an STi before you make that decision. My fastest stock time was 13.3 with a 1.8 60 ft. These times are about even with a ws6. Stage 2 you will def be in the 12's with good conditions.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Well basically bottom line is a 09 wrx/sti even a 04/05 sti price wise is just out of my range by a long shot, The cheapest decent low mileage 05 sti's I've found have not gone below 17 and some change. This car here has low miles, is great for the straight line which is my main interest honestly I just do not have the balls, for lack of a better word, to do drifting, or turns at high speeds. Another thing is that I really haven't been a big fan of the whole waiting for my power to come (Turbo lag) Over all basically I am sold with going with a v8 rwd car only issue is part of my agreement with the rents is the car stays as is the day I buy it so I will not be able to modify it so I wanted to get some opinions on what people thought in terms of it being faster with its current set up then what I drive now with its current set up from what I've gathered on Nasioc/Some fellow car enthusiasts the ws6 is almost in definitely going to be faster.

Dream Evil
#7 Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What about weather? All around drive ability? Longevity? Just somet hings to think about also. I know the wsg/firebird/trans am, and all v8s have been around seems like centuries, but its ultimately your call. Just remember, there will always be some one and something faster than you, be it a 4 cylinder or a v10.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 07-13-2009, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Well its not so much about it being faster then other cars, I just want a stick shift car that falls under the category's I want which basically is v8, RWD, faster then the car I have now so from what I am reading seems like the ws6 is the car for the job just wanted to get some advice ### I have been hearing different things some ppl saying that theres no way it'll be faster then what I have and others saying it deff will

Dream Evil
#9 Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
Well its not so much about it being faster then other cars, I just want a stick shift car that falls under the category's I want which basically is v8, RWD, faster then the car I have now so from what I am reading seems like the ws6 is the car for the job just wanted to get some advice ### I have been hearing different things some ppl saying that theres no way it'll be faster then what I have and others saying it deff will
If you still live in NJ make sure you have something else to drive when it snows. It is not fun driving a high horsepower rwd V8 in slippery conditions.
#10 Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Well truthfully, the WS6 is a better choice for drag racing. Since that is what you're into I would say go for it. The only thing is that the WS6 and the Camaro's are pretty much the same thing, Same engine/drivetrain. I think the only difference is the design of the stock ram air hood and of course pontiac.

That being said, the rear end breaks easily on those cars, they are worse than subbie trannies when it comes to drag racing. I would set aside about 1500 ish for a rear end if you are going to be drag racing that thing. And if you do break it please upgrade it.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#11 Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Have you ever been to a drag strip? Seriously?

All these suggested cars do nothing but spin the tires below 20mph so if you're looking for more performance, V8 RWD only has it from 20mph-100mph or so. If you're doing that on a road, then my request to you is GROW UP.

V8 RWD american mustle cars are not good in bad weather (rain, let alone snow), not reliable, not good at anything that involves using the steering wheel, expensive to maintain, and get horrible gas mileage. The are, however, very good at really only two things:
1) Spinning the rear tires to create smoke
2) Blowing by your friends on the highway at illegal speeds.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Have you ever been to a drag strip? Seriously?

All these suggested cars do nothing but spin the tires below 20mph so if you're looking for more performance, V8 RWD only has it from 20mph-100mph or so. If you're doing that on a road, then my request to you is GROW UP.

V8 RWD american mustle cars are not good in bad weather (rain, let alone snow), not reliable, not good at anything that involves using the steering wheel, expensive to maintain, and get horrible gas mileage. The are, however, very good at really only two things:
1) Spinning the rear tires to create smoke
2) Blowing by your friends on the highway at illegal speeds.
3) Toby Keith American pride effect. I live in a very "redneck" area and I get crap for even owning a "foreign car". If I had a straight line running, tire spinning, behemoth of a car I would get compliments everywhere I went.

...but I didn't buy my car to impress people.
#13 Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
While some of the negative aspects are true I guess when I bought my car it was something that I settled for as apposed to something I really wanted and as of lately realizing how the automatic holds me back on a lot of levels I just have gotten fed up with the car and want to get rid of it. It's not to say I wont one day come back to subies because I know the sti's are beasts but I don't think I would ever buy another WRX they cheap out on to much stuff from factory.

Dream Evil
#14 Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Haha...Toby keith pride effect. Nice... The WS6 is basically a Trans Am with a Suspension package. It may handle better than a Trans Am. But, probably not a whole lot. For the price and what your looking for. Yeah, it probably fits your needs. For it being useful in anything but good weather it's not a good car to drive. I don't believe the Trans Ams and camaros had locking diffs. Like the GTO does. I've seen people drive those in the snow and I consider that brave. But a LSD would help some in bad weather.
#15 Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
personally for you it sounds like the car that would fit you best is a civic on boost...cheap reliable and fast in a straight line

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt