wiper blades - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
wiper blades

Thread created as a spin off from another.

Sorry,I don't mean to offend anyone but I've tried almost every wiper blades known to man. Except PIAA. and Ive landed on Valeo ULTIMATE® Wiper Blades (Hook-Lock).

The end caps break off the Bosch when you slap the ice off them and they are too expensive. The Rain-X ones don't last. The Michelins float at speed.

The Valeos last a long time,don't float or ice up and are cheap(in price). Whenever I order something from Tire Rack I always get a set or 2 to save postage.

I also swear by Rain-X window treatment and washer fluid in all my cars. It helps a lot when scraping ice and the fluid will take off most light frost so I don't have to scrape at all. I hope this helps.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.

Last edited by mosc; 03-19-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Fidrat, I bought what you recommended. They seem pretty good so far. I elected against the window treatment because I don't have the patience to continually re-apply it and I heard several horror stories about it if it starts to wear off without re-application. I also got some stoner "invisible glass" window cleaner and some microfiber towels. I really need to clay bar my front windshield but failing that, I've done what I could.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

I understand your fear of rain-X (my brother won't use it either) but done correctly it can be your best friend. First off try to find this.http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/revie...e-and-wipe.jpg It can be hard to find but worth the search. I found mine at K-mart.
This do-hickie is by far the best way to apply Rain-X and keep it off your paint. I repeat keep it off your paint! It is an alcohol based product and it will mess with your clear coat.

Next, Stoner invisible glass is a fine product (I use it myself) but save it for the inside of the glass. It doesn't play well with Rain-X. Windex will work fine.

The glass should be cool not cold and don't even try it if it is humid or near dusk.
You have to do it quickly. If you take too long it will make things difficult.

Start with the windshield.Use the applicator in even swirls. The key here is not to use too much. If the swirls start to run you are using too much. A little goes a long way.

Work your way around the car. By the time you get back to the windshield it will be dry enough for the next step.Don't forget the mirrors.

Now,using the towel provided with the applicator wipe off all the Rain-X you can starting with the windshield and work your way around. This will make an even haze on the glass. Avoid hitting the soft moldings as it will smear onto the cloth reducing its life. Set the cloth aside. Your done with it until next time.

Next,I use paper towels. The ones you find at your favorite barbeque restaurant work the best and they don't seem to mind if you take a lot of them. Or you can just buy them. They are the folded rectangular ones. With the paper towels work your way around the car using a fast polishing motion.

Know this,any time you stop or change direction it will leave a smear. Just keep going until you don't see anymore smears. Sprinkle water on the glass to speed this up. If you used too much Rain-X use more water. Remember,a quick polishing motion.

I usually do this twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. It sounds like a lot of work but it's more work to chisel ice off my window in the winter and bugs in the summer. It also makes your wipers last longer. It won't last as long on the front windshield as it does in the side windows. You may have to reapply on the windshield mid season. Using Rain-X wiper fluid will help this.

The biggest mistake people make is using too much.

I hope this helps. If my mom can do it you can do it. Good luck.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#4 Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm just too lazy to do that. There's no way.

For reference, the Valeo blades do not cover the far passenger side lower corner very well. I've given up worrying about that though, they do everything else better than the cheapo blades and nobody else seems to notice it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

I know, that's why my brother won't use it. It really doesn't take as long as I make it sound and it's easier on my back than scraping ice. I'm lazy too. But I choose to be lazy in a different way. Such as, when other people are chipping ice off their cars after work I'm driving home.

When other people are cleaning the bugs off their windshield I just give it a squirt and keep driving.

While other people are changing their wiper blades every 6 months I don't worry about it for a long long time.

While other people are explaining to the cops and their insurance company why they hit that deer,car or person I see them in time to stop.

Not to mention the time, money,and lives I save. To me It's well worth the effort and savings. To each his own.

#6 Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

I just want to be clear about a few things. Rain-X window treatment and wiper fluid are not de-icers. They simply make it easier to remove ice (bugs) and the fluid will remove light frost.

#7 Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I am all for window treatment. RainX and Aquapel are the two big brands. RainX is a PITA to apply and remove the residue completely. But the results are night and day. I have no experience with Aquapel, but if you use one brand, stick to it. I've heard of bad hazing issues that's difficult to remove from the autopia forums when people apply RainX over an old Aquapel application or vice versa.

I also rarely treat the back and side windows. Front is the one that needs reapplication the most.

I've had zero luck with good, lasting wiper blades. The cheap stuff seems to last just as long as RainX Latitude, Bosch Icon (worse luck), and PIAA silicon. Those are the most recent ones I've tried.

I use basic blue fluid. I also have remote start system, so de-icing isn't that big of a deal unless I'm driving my Outback which doesn't have a RMS.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Blades other than Valeo Ultimate have more shortcomings than just longevity.

All wipers have faults they just have fewer of them.