Windshield Repair - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
Question Windshield Repair

ok heres the deal. i have never broken a windshield before so i dont really know what im doing. anyway, a while ago i got a chip from a rock. last week we had this crazy icy rain stuff and and then it was hot the next day. so im guessing with the heating and coolling and then heating it spead because now its about 4 inches long on each side of the chip. the redneck repair shop in my college town said he can only replace it. i know people can fix it places, but i was wondering if anyone has tried one of those crack fillers from autozone or something similar. looks good on the pictures, but those are pictures. recommendations..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
The crack becoming larger comes from the rain getting in the crack, then freezing and expanding. Check out http://www.cindyrowe.com/
#3 Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
well, im guessing that somewhere around here may have a way to fix it. i just have to drive an hour south. but from the site you posted it looks like it may be ok. i dont mind paying for it to be filled i just ddint want to drop $300 on a windshield. thats why i was askng about those DIY kits.
#4 Old 02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
I can attest that those DIY kits work awesome... Because I once had a chip from a rock about the size of a dime and the Walmart DIY glass repair kit did the job. It's been a year now and my windshield looks perfect.

But if your crack is 4 inches long now... it may be too late for DIY kits. You'll have to get it professionally fixed.

They do pretty much the same process, just on a more "professional" level with "professional" tools. Pull the glass together with suction cups, fill them in with resin, cure the resin, etc...
#5 Old 02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Fix it right, get it replaced. Those glass repare things are not safe especialy if you have a crack. The winshield does more than stop the rain, it is a structual part of your car.
#6 Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Basically if the crack is larger than what would fit under a quarter, it can't be filled. I had to replace the windshield in my old car 2 times and I watched the crack spread about 2 feet in the span of about 5 seconds. It was scary but kinda cool.
#7 Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
ok. thanks for the input guys. im gonna just have to make the hour drive and see what they say. i think its borderline fixable. but id rather do it properly.