Window tint 20% too dark? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Window tint 20% too dark?

Hey guys, I was wondering I plan to get the windows tinted in a month or two depending on how things go and I was curious what your opinions were on 20% (Rear of the car) I am just a bit concerned about seeing out of it at night time do you think 20% would pose a problem?
Also I wanted to have them tint my fog lenses yellow does that look good or is there a more I guess official or better way of doing it?

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If 20% window tint was legal in my area, I definitely would have gotten it, but I had to go with 35%. In my opinion, 20% is the perfect level of tint for almost any car (except limos, large SUVs, and probably some other case-by-case vehicles). You also have to remember that tint usually looks darker on a black car, so if 20% is illegal where you live, you might want to get the next step lighter just so you don't have to worry about tickets, removing the old tint, and retinting it since that can get expensive.

As far as fog lights, I have Luminics JDM yellow bulbs in mine and I'm pretty happy with the color - plus, when they're off during the day, everything on the front of my car is colorless and I like that too (although, I do like the look of actual yellow fog lights on most cars). They're not terribly bright, but the yellow color is spot-on for my taste. I have a friend with an older BMW M3 and he took his fog light assemblies apart and sprayed the inside of the lenses yellow and they turned out pretty good, but I don't know if that's possible to do on a WRX. Lately, I've been pondering the idea of yellow HID fog lights, but I haven't looked to see if such a kit exists for the WRX.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
i have 20's on my car, and it is perfect in my opinion. it is not difficult to see at night, but it is dark enough. the cops never give me problems, i just roll down my window when i pull up next to one. i felt that going any lighter would be pointless because people could still see in, and going any darker would be dangerous.
#4 Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I got tired of getting messed with by the cops all the time, my previous two cars had 20% and it was perfect darkness but not with the law.

I got my sti done with 30%, it's fairly light but not excessively. I would def go 20% if possible and if you dont mind a little cop abuse.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#5 Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
in iowa u can go as dark as you want in the back my back windows are 5% and thats VERY dark ima go ligther front isnt tinted yet.
#6 Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah In jersey in the rear you can do w/e you want so I mean 20% would be fine as far as legality is concerned, I just don't want it to be very hard to see out of at night time because I do drive a good bit at night time... Perhaps 25% or 30% would be a better route not to dark to have cops trying to harass me but not to light for people to totally see in and not to dark for me not to see out of? Also like you guys said since I have a dark car/interior perhaps if I did get 20% it'd be more like 15% where as if I went with 25% or 30% it'd be more like 20% as far as how it looks?

Dream Evil
#7 Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
In that case, I think you'll be happiest with 20% all around. Worst case, you'll have to remove the tint from two windows, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim, I'd imagine.

5% is way too dark and I don't think you'll be happy with 35% since that's pretty much only a light smoke and you can see everything through it all the time.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah looks like 20% will be my best bet

Dream Evil
#9 Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
yes 5% at night cant see in at all and kinda hard to see out all you can see is blobs of light ima take mine off and go with 20% all around myself
#10 Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
True, I am hoping to find a new job soon, and then try and save up ### my buddy does tinting at a local tint place so hes going to do the tinting for me and then we can use his shop to do my lowering springs if I decided to get them and put the hids in at the same time. So it'll deff be fun to go in with my car now and come out with some nice new visuals

Dream Evil
#11 Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

MurderedWRX is an unknown
if you want a good look 20 is good i have 15 percent on my car all the way around and i have the really realy dark blue color subaru puts out and it looks really sick with the windows tinted and the dark color car and tinted tail lights ,,,,, i must admit at night time it is a bit diffficult to see outta them in certain areas i find myself rolling down windows sometimes to see certain ways.... if u want it to look good but not so bad at night get 15 on back and rear doors and 20 or 35 on fronts ....
#12 Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I tinted my car pretty dark and am absolutely thrilled with it. In Utah there's no limit for the back windows and you can go 50% in the front. I did 5% in the back, and 25% in the front. I don't get bothered ever by cops, and I think it's advantageous when it comes to night driving, seeing as I spend most of my time driving forward. There are times (like backing into my garage at night) that I do roll the front windows down to back up, but I really like the way cars' headlights don't glare at me as much. I find the benefits of darker outweigh the cons. That's me though. If you've never tinted you windows darker before, you may be happier with something like 35 all around or 35 in front and 20 in back. That's pretty dark, and you still won't really be able to use the main back window to look out at night, but luckily we have power windows.
#13 Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
I had 20% all the way around also. It made the car look amazing. It was not hard to see out of (except backing up). The only problem was the police attention. I only got pulled over once and it was on the fourth of July. I think the cop just pulled me over to see if I had been drinking. Other than that one occurrence, I did not have any problems. I am getting a new WRX tomorrow and thinking about getting it down to around 30%. I don’t want to have to mess with the cops.
#14 Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subieboo204 is an unknown
hell yea even if you have a moon roof and keep it open its too dark. i live in ny and have 20's and got pulled over the first day with them
#15 Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
Im getting 20 in the rear and 36 front. NY any tint is illegal

02 WRX Now STG 3
92 Ninja 600
Quit crying and be happy. could be driving a mustang - Jujutsuka