Subaru WRX Forum banner

What two 10" subs would you choose together for $250??

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  xchrisntiffx 
#1 ·
Im starting to plan my next custom fiberglass build for my wrx. This time around I would like to do a dual 10" setup. I havent decided on an amp yet, but it will either be a phoenix gold rsd 1200.1, or an alpine mrd-m1005. For the subs, I'm giving my self a budget of about $250 total.

Heres what I'm lookin for:

I'm looking to get great SPL as well as some SQ. I listen to a variety of music, rap hiphop dance, rock jazz etc. I havent yet decided if I want the subs to share airspace or be separate chambers, however I am planning on porting the subs and airspace can vary (for numbers sake, lets say roughly 1cuft per sub). I would also like them to be pretty efficient.

I'm not lookin for the walmart type, nor something that is only for competition. Just lookin for a pair that will be more than plenty to satisfy me on a daliy basis, yet when I would like to impress a friend or two, make them smile with a GREAT backrub!!

Soo if you know of a type of sub that fits my likings, please share!

#3 ·
I dont mean to sound like an @ss or anything... but seriously... why did you post anything if you were just going to say no? If you dont have any suggestions, or dont like 10s, then dont bother giving me a response like that... thats not being helpful, which is the whole purpose of asking questions on a forum...

#5 ·
See now this is a good answer. Thanks much...

I used to have a 10" MTX 7500 but for some reason didnt like how it sounded... but now that I look back, I think it was probably because it was a little underpowered and in a box not really made of it. I have thought of giving them another try though.

#6 ·
#12 ·
guess I am a bit different but I have 8's in my car. I am using 2 kicker solobaric l5's (you know the little square 8's) They do not require a ton of power nor do they swallow up my whole trunk but the do sound damn nice and tuned right they sound like 10's and even 12's depending on the music,. Thats just my 2 cents.

#15 ·
I have owned kicker and Fosgate both and the pale in compairison to my JL setup. The sub only sounds as good as your amp. If you have a good quality sub and use a crappy amp then you will not be impressedhowever the same can be said about the opposite as well.

#17 ·
I had my JL hooked to a phoenix gold amp so it wasnt too bad. I dont have that amp any more though and am just currently borrowing a rockford 1000bd amp.

Those solobarics loook nice. Now I'm not too familar with kicker, does the solobaric part signify anything? Like do you have to install it a certain way like isobaric, or is it just part of the model name?

#18 ·
never share airspace ....itll mess up how the woofers hit...separate airspace always!!! infinity makes awesome woofers! i go with nothing else ...in my car and home..i had a RF punch 2 in my car at first...awful

Kicker's Solobarics are their square subs...if u want good HARD hitting bass....those are by far the best i have heard. i had one L5 in a sealed box...pounded.....they wire up the same as any other sub..i had a Solobaric L5 in my accord when i was in high school...that thing was a BEAST..only cost me 100 bux too...with the box

#24 ·
you should reconsider that thought unless you own a speaker shop. Mine are 6 years old and on the 3rd vehicle with NO ISSUES at all....

Now to the OP I borrowed this from kicker

"Details
The original round Solo-Baric® was the world's first small-box sub, and it started a trend in speaker design that others are still trying to imitate. Kicker goes another step beyond with the fourth generation of the Solo-Baric L7. Not since its unveiling at the turn of the century has this industry cornerstone had so many technological advances, which makes its patents covering the square subwoofer and related designs even more impressive. Once you experience the Solo-Baric's titanic bass for yourself, you'll never look at subwoofers in the same way. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that the Solo-Baric L7 is different from anything else in the car stereo universe. But why square? It's really pretty simple - the area of a square is greater than the area of a circle with the same width. By making the Solo-Baric square, KICKER gives you the most possible cone area (or Sd) for a given size baffle - 16% to 20% more cone area. And more cone area means the Solo-Baric L7 moves more air. The ultra-length voice coils and hyper-extended pole pieces mean 24% to 49% more excursion (Xmax) than previous models. Its like buying one size subwoofer and getting the output of the next bigger size. KICKER’s revolutionary L7 subwoofer has been redesigned this year and features performance improvements for increased output. Upgrades include a new one-piece composite cone, called SoloKon™, with a continuous-contact rear cone brace, and radical BAM (Basket and Motor Assembly) with a louvered design. The latest Solo-Baric L7 has greater power handling and more resistance to abuse than any subwoofer KICKER's has ever made. All models have dual voice coils for ultimate wiring flexibility: 2-ohm DVC models let you run at 1 or 4 ohms, 4-ohm DVC models allow 2-ohm or 8-ohm operation. "

Try this ebay link for prices,
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fgtp=

#22 ·
t series r ok. man its all about the right amp, sub, box set up. ive had the best luck with kicker. ive installed tons of systems and my opinion is kicker is the way to go. but everyone has there opinion. i have one L7 in a kicker made box with a zx 1500.1 and DAMN does it hit. im a bass head so its great, but might be too much if u dont like a crap load of bass. ive had the system for 2 1/2 years and its still goin strong. their amps also have bass knobs so if its too much bass u can always turn it down.

#26 ·
So far I'm liking what I'm seeing as far as subs go for kicker... but I guess the only thing holding me back on deciding on them is just because of all the mixed feelings I've been reading up on them. I'm going to try and see if I can hear a pair or so before I would consider.

I've talked to a few other people online, and some have mentioned phoenix gold actually makes some decent subs. I've owned pg amps before and they are awesome.. any of you heard their titanium series subs?

#29 ·
has anyone used the infinity bass-link? im kind of hesitant to put an amp/woofer together setup in my car, but its one that i can use the stock deck and still control the bass in speakers and woofers seperately...they have really good reviews, but id like to hear if anyone has used them in a wrx...

#30 ·
the infinity bass link is mainly for trucks behind the seat. putting it in the trunk is gonna kill the bass, but its all about how much bass u want. I know audio bahn has a bass tube thats a 10 inch sub i think and is okay. ive installed them in trunks and they sound good when listening to rock and some rap.

#31 ·
do not get the infinity basslink unless its gonna sit in the open air where your ears are...otherwise it will not sound good....KICKER SOLOBARIC...i swear u wont be disappointed....if u want the best...get the ones that come preinstalled in the kicker box

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.