Wax in Circles… OR Lines - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
So, what is the steps when getting ready to wax a car? I wash and let it air dry in my garage. Then I wipe a microfiber towel over the entire car. Next I apply the wax by hand and usaully remove it by hand (in circles, if you were wondering). I do have a powered buffer that I use on occation. Am I missing a step?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here's what I do, so hopefully this will help. I worked at a car wash / detail shop in high school.

I let the car dry about 12 hours before applying anything. I use a California duster and Quick Detail just before I start my first coat. I do the entire car at one time. Not panel by panel. For steps 1 and 2 I use painter's tape to mask off the plastic strips around the windows and on the roof.

Step 1: Meguiar's "Step 1" cleaner (not cleaner/wax) - Hand applied (sponge pad), wipe off with microfiber towel.
Step 2: Meguiar's "Step 2" Polish - Orbital Buffer applied, wipe off with Microfiber towel.
Step 3: Turtle Wax ICE applied everywhere including plastic, door sills, and wheels. I do these parts last in case there is any dirt or grime. - Hand applied (sponge pad), wipe off with microfiber towel. I just started using this and I'm really impressed with how it brings the plastic back to life.

My final step is to use Turtle Wax ICE Interior polish on all the plastic inside the car. It looks and smells nice and you'd be surprised how much grime comes off on the towel even though you think it's clean.

I do not use a high speed buffer ever b/c Subaru's paint seems to be especially thin and it would be easy to burn through it.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#18 Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks blk05!!
#19 Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The problem there are different levels of detailing. You can go as simple to wash, dry, then wax, all the way to wash, dry, clay, polish, clean, seal, then wax. I mean, it depends what you want your end result to be, how much time and effort you're willing to put in, and of course, how much money and how willing you are to learn.

If you gave me 8-12 hours depending on the condition my car starts, I could return the car to a better then factory condition minus obvious wear and tear, major scratches and dents of course.

Oh yes, you typically want to hand dry your car. Leaving water on it can leave water spots unless you have a filter/softener or use distilled water. Leave water spots on your car long enough and it will eventually etch itself into your paint. Scary huh?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#20 Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here's a few more tips.

1. I use a California blade to knock the big water spots off my car. That way I only have to use one microfiber towel to dry the rest. It cuts down on the laundry.

2. Just tonight I tried the Glass Master Pro that I got as a gift. Originally I thought it would be useless, but it was a lot easier to get in corners of the front and rear window. And I could clean the whole window from the drivers seat.

Amazon.com: Glass Master Pro: Automotive Amazon.com: Glass Master Pro: Automotive

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#21 Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
The key to waxing is starting with a smooth surface. Getting the old stuff off is key to a good finish. A clay bar works but I use Mcguires Ultimate Compound and a Powrball for paint. I take all the old wax off then apply tech wax also by Mcguires. I do that 3 months or so and it holds up great against all the Oregon rain and snow.
#22 Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for all the ideas! I am planning on giving the car a bath and wax this weekend.
#23 Old 08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just got back from the beach and my car is sandy and filthy. My tentative plan is to hit one of those cheap underbody touchless spray wash joints, then a good hand wash, gentile towel dry, light clay bar, and good hand wax with Meguiar's NXT generation tech paste wax 2.0, a thorough vacuum job and probably condition the interior surfaces and windows, etc. I never really got into the paint cleaners or polishers - one good session of rubbing my car makes me tired and bored... I can't imagine 3-4 in a row. The only thing that annoys me is every day for the next week says "Scattered/Isolated Showers" on Weather.com. But she needs a good cleaning and that's what she'll get. Yarrrgh

John
07 WRX