Subaru WRX Forum banner

VIN Protect DIY Window etching review

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  cannibal86 
#1 ·
Hey you guys,

Just wanted to let you know about something I just tried - DIY Window etching system sold by this vendor on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7917192485&category=33720&sspagename=WDVW

His website is at www.vinprotect.com

First off, this kit comes exactly as described in the auction. I think he also sells the stuff from his website, but at a slightly higher price. I think I paid about $15 plus $4 S&H.
At first, I was a little skeptical. I mean, I remember when my wife bought her CRV, we paid like $200 to get this done for her car. Anyways, this kit is super easy to apply and works great. The pics on the auction really do look like the actual thing. Not wanting to screw it up, I tried it first on an old mirror in the corner. Worked just like the instructions said: You just peel the VIN decal (you have to submit your VIN number in order for them to make the decals for you) and place it on the front windshield lower right corner just above the VIN plate, on the driver's side front and rear doors at the bottom near the door pillar and on the passenger's side windows in the same position. I even put it on the rear window and on the sunroof! ;) After you put the decals on, you just paint a little bit of the "glass etching cream" on top of the stencil and wait for literally 30 seconds. Then you peel off the stencil and just wipe off the area with some Windex / window cleaner. That's it. Took me like 15 minutes to do my whole car.

For only $15, this is a really really easy "mod" and if it makes a thief avoid my car or stop and think twice, then I'm all for it. Plus, I think I get an additional insurance discount.

I know some of you guys are a little anal about showing off your VIN numbers to the world, but really... even if it only saves me like an additional $20 off my insurance, it's already paid for itself, right? Plus if you're that protective, I guess you always could just give the guy any bogus number you want...

-Chris

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.