upgraded sound system - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

triggr is an unknown
upgraded sound system

I am planning to get a wrx in sept. I was wondering how the upgraded sound system with the subs and amp sounded, is it worth the money or should I just get an aftermarket system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 01:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

skiingjohn is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to skiingjohn
Well it is better then stock obviously, but to clarify, it's not "subs", it's a tiny 4-6 inch (not sure) little thing under the seat. the tweeters are ok but not the greatest thing, i would for sure go with an aftermarket system if you want good base and tight treble. just my thought on the subject.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I bought got it as an option, and now i have 2 rockfords and a 1000w amp and you can't hear the thing. I am planning on upgrading my stock speakers and getting a 300w amp and i'm gonng have them take the "sub" under my seat out. I wouldn't get any options on your car, you can get them aftermarket for much cheaper. just my .02
post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

yergi is an unknown
yea, go aftermarket.
And if you plan to pump the bass, you're going to want to do somthing about that damn auto-tinting mirror (if you have it) the thing makes more noise than anything else in the car. I guess the fact that it's right next to my head doesn't help much either.
-peace
post #5 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
The thing that rattles in the mirror is the wire in the back that gives it power; jiggle that a little and it stops rattelling.
As for the upgraded speakers...don't bother they are still pretty damn weak. The sub is a good investment though if you just want some filler bass, but nothing major. And you can adjust the bass coming from the sub so it's not like you're stuck with the stock settings; it can pump enough bass to shake your mirrors.

Che
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

triggr is an unknown
an aftermarket sound system wont void the warranty will it?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

yergi is an unknown
Nah, actually it's not the wire that's making most of the noise, but where the two pieces of the mirror connect together. I epoxied the joint in a couple places and now the sound is much less. btw I have 2 12" MTX and a 500 watt amp, in the trunk, so the car rattles in places where the stock subs wouldn't touch.

As for the warranty I couldn't picture a dealership trying to tell you that the reason your tranny blew was because you had sub's installed. That would be pretty rediculous, right? Now if you blow the stock radio somehow there may be a problem trying to get them to replace it. All depends on how good your social skills are and how much of a pecker head the dealer wants to be.

Last edited by yergi; 06-25-2004 at 10:25 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

triggr is an unknown
ok thanks, cant wait to be a true member of the WRX community.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
They won't void your warranty on the car for a sound system, but they can refuse to change your speakers if you blow them, or if something goes wrong with the electric system (like blowing a fuse) they can blame your subs. Of course the easy solution is to take the system out before you go in for warranty.
And an aftermarket headunit will not void the warranty.

Che
post #10 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
It depends on the dealership. Technically, according to Subaru, anything installed on the car that was not on the window sticker or invoice will void the warranty. However, I have never heard of a dealership not warrantying a transmission because of an aftermarket radio. However, if you put in a new radio, and your dash lights quit working, you probably won't get that covered.