Underglow Neon/LED - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1398 is an unknown
Question Underglow Neon/LED

OK I did the search for the topic (im still new) but i couldnt find much on neon or LED lights on a subi. I know its a ricer thing but im just talking one or two neon tubes in the hood scoop or front grille of my car. My question is would you go with neon or LED lights? I have done some research but the difference to me seems small. Plus has anyone put lights on your car is it easy to install and put a switch in the interior? Sorry if this is a stupid post but i was just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
There was a thread about this earlier in December. There are pictures and I'm sure someone from that thread will have researched the questions you're asking.

DIY glowing TMIC mod and my new hoses

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#3 Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The purpose of an intercooler is to COOL the pressurized intake air. Putting a HOT neon light on top of it is.... moronic. LED's put out much less heat.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmm... I think it's more of a show car thing and, yes, it would probably look pretty cool, but from a practicality standpoint, mosc is right. Not to mention a rock or other piece of debris could easily fly into your scoop and crack/shatter the neon tube(s) and make a mess, unless you have a mesh screen or some other kind of protection or the tubes are mounted safely off to the sides. LEDs are probably a better choice for that kind of application.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1398 is an unknown
Ok any advice on running a switch turn them on and off with out just hooking it straight to the battery? run it through the fire wall but then what? streetglow's website doesnt really have instuctions that i can find
#6 Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

ndwolfwood is more helpful than not
ive installed many street glow kits before...i have almost always gone to autozone and bought a cheapo switch...there are other routes you can go...for example i dont have fog lights in my car...but i still have the button or you can find wireless switches...i dunno their range or how well they work but generally there is an unused button space in your dash you could tap into, or you could hide it under the dash so people arent playing with it all the time...totally up to you but you need a simple switch either way you look at it...while hooking it straight to the battery is fine...it will always be on unless you unhook it..

PS...most street glow kits have a setup similar to the remote wire on a car audio amp...it gets plugged into the receiver (head unit) and every time the stereo is on...the amp comes on if you need help id be glad to give you some by way of personal experience...good luck either way
#7 Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

ndwolfwood is more helpful than not
forgot to add...the lexan tubes that street glow uses are super durable...i have hit many small rocks...debri and whatever...it took me running over a critter...and the critter hitting my tube for it to shatter...the tube itself was still intact...but the neon inside was a mess
#8 Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I updated the link above, there's more specifics now. And a switch is a must. There's an easily accessible hole in the firewall on the passenger side, above the turbo.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#9 Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

VTrider36 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VTrider36
I've installed a few of these as well. It is rather easy to run a couple wires thru the firewall. It's real easy to install a standard switch in one of those empty button slots to the left of the steering wheel, you just need a switch with the two rings on the back and drill a hole the width of the switch insert. Just make sure you find a solid grounding point. PS- Buy lotsa zipties.
+1 to the LEDs because the are thinner, burn colder and tend to be brighter/more brilliant. They also tend to come with a strong adhesive strip which will make install easier.