Subaru WRX Forum banner

Unconventional Gauge Solutions

13K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I am a clean freak, and I HATE how a bunch of gauges look in the wrx interior. I've been looking for unconventional gauge solutions, and ran into a bunch of stuff: some feasible, some not (due to price and/or availability). As a result, this thread is just as much for entertainment value as it is informative. I have everything organized under the following categories: Gauge Cluster Replacements, Carputer, General, and UTEC-specific. Enjoy!

Gauge Cluster Replacements:
Defi Super Sports Cluster:

Stack Cluster:

AiM MXL

Carputer:
DashCommand:

EvoScan:

SawMill:

JDash:
Couldn't find a good screenshot
DeltaDash:
^^^Likewise

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! nice! I like some of those... I think that if I was gonna ever consider any of those I would get a double din DVD player with A/V in, buy a solid state netbook, and go with dash command...I think that that would work awesome...

#9 ·
I would get a double din DVD player with A/V in
You would need a VGA screen for it to be worthwhile.

I have my own carputer and have been looking for some sort of gauge solution, which is why I brought up so many apps. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything I really like. DashCommand would be perfect if it supported the SSM protocol, but it doesn't... only the generic OBDII, so it doesn't update very quickly, and it lacks the ability to log some important parameters. Kiwi is OBDII also, so it has the same problems.

I sympathize with the comment about the clock... never was able to find anything for the GD. I was hoping to put something next to the cup holder, right below the center vents. I think that spot would be perfect.

Right now I'm working with the developer of the MKI to add the ability to display oil pressure and EGT on a 3-line display. Hopefully in 2 months or so that project will be finished.

#5 ·
Yep, me too. Sadly I am not aware of any replacement options for our clock yet. I would want to still be able to view the thermometer and clock setup as well.

#11 ·
In-car screens are small. The clarity and resolution of a screen with RCA inputs will not suffice; you won't be able to read anything. That's why computer monitors don't come with RCA inputs. You need a screen with VGA input.

To your second question, there isn't a simple answer. How quickly DashCommand updates data will be determined by the number of parameters being displayed/logged, the speed of your computer, the kind of parameters you are logging, the cable you're using, etc. Obviously there are people out there that are satisfied with it, but I don't want to spend $90 (software+cable: they don't support the 1.3 tactrix) on something I already suspect will be a failure.

However, there are some really cool things about DashCommand. Obviously one big thing is you can customize your gauges. You can have multiple gauge layouts (called "dashboards") and flip through them with a simple swipe of the screen. You can set alarms, customize DashCommand to do certain things automatically like start logging when you start the car. It is also the only OBDII software I have seen so far with the ability to integrate aftermarket sensors (PLX). Unfortunately, one PLX sensor+module is usually over $100, so just four sensors would cost you as much as another carputer. Plus you would have a bunch of stupid metal boxes lying around. DashCommand also has very good customer support, a mildly active forum, and good documentation to help you set it up.

EvoScan, on the other hand, uses the SSM protocol. Unfortunately, it is buggy, and their customer service sucks. They have absolutely no documentation, no directions or anything. I can't figure out how to get it to start logging automatically, and I feel like that is the most important feature of such a product. It doesn't always read correctly, and even when it does, it won't do it when you put something on a gauge. For example, it will read rpm properly, but if you embed it into a gauge layout, it just reads "0000" the whole time. It also doesn't have nearly as many useful loggable parameters as RomRaider, and has no aftermarket sensor support.

One thing that is nice about EvoScan, however, is you can change "formula" of any parameter so you can make it display any range of numbers you want. This would be helpful if, say, you want convert your mph reading to kph (hypothetical). With a USDM WRX, you could also get rid of any useless sensors (EGT, rear O2), wire in aftermarket sensors, and change the formulas to read properly (if you know what you're doing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.