Trunk Rattle Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

05 STI is an unknown
Trunk Rattle Help

Have an 05 STi. Changed the wing to a WRX stock wing. Trunk rattles or when I am driving it sounds like a ball is rolling around in the trunk.

ANY HELP????

05 STi
WRX Wing
5 Zigen 18"wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lil_G is an unknown
First of all, is that REALLY an STI? You have no STI fog light covers and you switched to a stock WRX spoiler? Why would you want your STI to look like a WRX? I have an '05 WRX with an STI spoiler but I'm not converting it to look like an STI ### it can't quite stack up to that competition. I'm trying to make my WRX BETTER than a stock STI. That's my goal.

As for the rumble...why don't ya just take it back to the installers, unless that was you, in which case take it back to the Subaru dealership and get some professional help.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
It's his car guy. If he wants the stock WRX wing, so be it. I personally would prefer a wingless STi. I'm not in to the whole "park bench on my trunk" thing though.

I was going to be a smart ass and tell him to take the wing out of the trunk.

The only thing that I can think of is to check for anything that might be loose, and tighten it. Does the trunk shut solidly and stay tightly shut. Another thing that I was thinking is that since the STi's have stronger support to keep the trunk open with the STi wing on there, maybe there's too much tension pushing it to want to open. Any slack in the lid might cause vibration.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

05 STI is an unknown
First of all Lil G. Yes it is an STi. Why would I want my car to look like all the other STi's? I guess it is personal preference. I like the speed/performance of the STi but to me stock they look like a crappy hot wheels car at best. By the way have you ever seen a rally car w/o fog lights. Just busting your chops for ripping on the ride - too each his own dude. All WRX's rule no matter your deal.

Anyway. The rear deck lid, struts and wing are all factory WRX from Subaru. I ordered my car that way. Good idea to take it to the dealer, only porblem is I have and they are too lame to find the problem plus they don't really care about a rattle like I do.

I appreciate the help. If I fix the issue I will let y'all know.

05 STi
WRX Wing
5 Zigen 18"wheels
post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
does the rattle only happen when turning? At certain speeds? The rattle was not there when you had the Sti spoiler? Sounds like you have a nut/bolt in the trunk lid. Try tapping on the trunk lid and see if you can recreate the sound.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼