Tribeca horn upgrade for WRX? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tnot is an unknown
Tribeca horn upgrade for WRX?

Anyone tried doing this? The horn on our '09 Tribeca is a lot more assertive than the one on the WRX (2011), curious if anyone had considered or actually performed such a swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would just get supetones rather than going through that...probably cheaper and look cooler behind you grille.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Supertones are ridiculously loud. The Tribecca might be a great option for a better horn that won't make people's ears bleed. I haven't heard of anybody doing it but this shouldn't be too bad. The horn is not a complex piece of machinery. If this works out well, I and many others would probably love more info.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Agreed, wars have started over things less obnoxious than super tones. But I still like them

-Brandon
post #5 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Supertones ftw!

They now come in a variety of colors and I saw one company makes brackets to mount them so you don't have to improvise like I did when I installed mine. The main down side to the red ones is they fade pretty bad over a period of several years, despite being tucked behind the front grill. I think mine are in need of a paint job or possibly replacement - although the reddish/pink (cherry blossom red) doesn't look half bad
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Garage
The fact that you wanted to post to show a PICTURE of your horns highlights perfectly why the tribecca option is so enticing to some of us.

post #7 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yup. They're obnoxious

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Garage
Why are people proud of that? Please don't take it personally but that just sounds adolescent to me. I don't want to drive down the street pointing out to everyone how different I am from them. I'm plenty comfortable with my own individuality to not have to literally blare it at ear-bleeding levels to people who could give two shits around me.

Obnoxious should be an insult, not a badge of honor.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

I hear you man. But I hate Harley's and big jacked up diesel trucks. I have to assume the guys driving them are getting more out of driving them than pissing people off.

I think a better example are hid's. I hate driving at them. I love driving with them. The horns are annoying to be scared with I'm sure. But if you " need" to use them sometime, you're glad you have them.

-Brandon
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Exhaust sound can be the same.... It doesn't NEED to be a little loud... But if you are going to pour $ into something... Better be what you like...

Just sayin.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ah, don't worry... I'm not one of those fools that goes around blasting my horn for no reason. I bought them mainly because I like the way they look. I've only used them a handful of times since I installed them 4 years ago. I'm just happy that when I need them, a quick toot gets the attention I need. I'm happy knowing that if I ever had to lean on the horn, I'd get my point across very clearly.

I see your point though. At least I didn't post a sound clip

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Andersonreid is on thin ice
Im thinking about supertones strictly because people in my town cant drive. I DO think they look cool, but it a function thing for me..
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
I got the Supertones for one MAIN reason-

To wake the sleepy truckers up in front of me drifting all over the road!!!!

I've been run off the road three times by semi-trucks who either weren't paying attention or falling asleep.
Every third weekend I take a road trip from Las Vegas to Boise, ID to see my kid- horns and turbo are very effective in dealing with truckers- one to wake them up if needed, the other to pass them when legal to do so- especially when climbing a 7000 foot peak outside of Ely, NV.

Plus, how crazy drivers are here in Vegas I can let them know my displeasure when they pull stupid crap like pulling out in front of me and slamming on brakes or shimming up next to me trying to take my place in the lane I'm currently in because they aren't paying attention.

Next upgrade- Brakes!!!

-D