Subaru WRX Forum banner

Titanium shift knob????

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BigJay 
#1 ·
Alright fellaz,
At the risk of sounding like a dumb ass, I was going to change out my girlfriend's shift knob on her 04 WRX, she has the titanium STi knob on there, when I went to take it off, there was a white waxy looking piece with threads on top of shifter(with the knob off).....what the hell is that? and how do i take it off and change the shift knob? Oh yeah, the reason for her wanting me to take it off, is that when it hits 1000 degrees down here, you can't even touch the shifter, I have literally burnt my hand on it before.
matt

#2 ·
I think that the white piece of plastic you are referring to is what holds the shift boot up, preventing it from falling away form the knob, therefore exposing the shift lever. If it is that it should have come out with the knob, but I think you just have to unscrew it from the shifter, unless it has been glued there.

#3 ·
When I got my Titanium STi shifter (the one in my avatar), the plastic and titanium came as one piece. I read that it's there to reduce vibrations and heat from the engine/transmission. I don't know if you've ever touched the actual shifting rod, but sometimes it actually can get hot I guess from heat dispersed from the gearbox?

The other day, I thought mine was crooked, so I twisted it to adjust it. It should just twist right off...

#4 ·
Go on Ebay and get a Monster Shift knob .... Its great.Its made 100 percent out of resin so It doesn't absorb as much heat. I live in Texas where its been above 100 everyday. When you first grab it its a little hot from the sun but nothing like the metal ones . It also cools really quickly and looks very trick. It dropped (its adjustable) my shifter height by 1" and made shifting feel so much crisper. I'm not at all assocaited with Monster Shifter I'm just a VERY HAPPY customer.!Thumbs Up But this is the best way to go to avoid blistering hot shifter knobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.