tiny rust dots on my trunk and doors..... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Angry tiny rust dots on my trunk and doors.....

I noticed on the paint on my trunk and doors...tiny little spots of rust. I know i live where it snows and there is salt on my car alot of the time, but i've only had it for nine months...i shouldnt have any rust spots on the car. I made an appt. with the dealership to have ther service manager look at. What do you think the problem is? Do you think the dealship will give me any problems fixing it? Thanks guys.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
it's probably places where the paint has been chipped and the bare metal is exposed

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i dont think the paint should have these tiny chips...its almost like there is barely any clearcoat on the car...there are even some of these spots on the bumper, which is plastic. Seems like the paint is flawed. This isnt a 97 tempo...its a nine month old car. I shouldnt be having these problems.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #4 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Rock chips happen on all cars, but I don't know why you'd have one on your trunk. You should be washing the salt/road grime off your car at least twice a month to protect the paint BTW. I call them maintenance washes. Doesn't matter if it's gonna get dirty in a day or two, you need to get the chemicals off the paint.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #5 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah but it seems that more and more 09's have really weak paint.. My car is chipped all over the effing place and it's upsetting. My car is a year and a week old and it has more chips than my 98 grand cherokee did when I sold it...

-Chris
post #6 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
ratfink: Agreed.

booosted09: Are you sure they're rust dots under the paint and not just bubbles or imperfections in the clearcoat that a good wetsand and/or claybar session wouldn't take care of?

The trunk and hood should be aluminum, so they shouldn't be rusting... but the roof, doors, and most of the rest of the body panels are a different story (some inexpensive steel alloy, I'm sure).

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 32 Old 03-06-2010, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They changed the hood on the 08+, not sure about the trunk. The hood is now steel and weighs 45 lbs... I'm almost using the paint chipping as a good reason to go carbon and get it painted. I hate the way carbon looks, too ricer-ey.

-Chris
post #8 of 32 Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

bsf141 is an unknown
My wife has an 09 Forester in pearl white that is having the same issues. There are tiny rust spots all over. It started about 3 months after we bought the car. Now that we have had it almost a year (April) they are getting much worse. I washed the car this morning and noticed that they are on nearly every panel of the vehicle. Has anyone taken a car with the tiny rust spots back to the dealer? I plan to this week and see what they say.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ah, I edit my statement then: 02-07 models have aluminum trunks and hoods. 08+ hoods are steel. Thanks!

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 32 Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

2004 WRX is an unknown
I have the same thing on my 2004. its just on the trunk and a bit on the sides near the rear. its not from rock chips i dont think. its just like tiny tiny bits of rust that arent noticeable unless you really look. but they are there. I just assumed it was because mine is older and the paint getting worn down. i cant imagine its normal to happen on a car that new.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
hey guys, I just noticed this today on my 08 wrx... I have salt here in the northeast as well, and cleaned it off maybe once a month. This is unacceptable, and very upsetting. It is on all panels as well.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Haha. You guys can all calm down. There is nothing wrong with your vehicle's paint. Those tiny rust spots are flakes of metal that got embedded into the paint, and then began to rust. Those flakes of metal can results from rail dust (new cars) and brake dust. Easily removed if not left on the paint for too long.

The safest way to remove these impurities is by using a detailing clay bar. Please please please do some research before attempting to use a clay bar since if used incorrectly, you can damage your paint.

If anyone wants to read more.
How To Detail Clay Your Car - Auto Detailing Clay and Clay Alternative

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #13 of 32 Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Like VEW said, that's completely normal, nothing that a good clay bar job couldn't handle. Beware, if you are a care care nut, Clay Bar Detailing could be addictive!!!

Here is a Link with good info and tips on Car Care:

post #14 of 32 Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

soup_notzee is an unknown
I took the advice of the clay bar, bought Mothers Clay Bar yesterday. Detailed the entire car, now it is SPOTLESS!!! Thanks guys!
post #15 of 32 Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Keep in mind, most clay bars will remove the majority of any wax you have on the vehicle, so you'll have to reapply after.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement