Theft Prevention - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Lex Talionis is an unknown
Theft Prevention

Hi all, first post here so bare with me. I just had my fiero(ok laugh, but its a fun little car) stolen and i didnt have theft coverage on it, so its a crappy loss, anyways, that leaves me with my wrx and now im paranoid about losing it too. Whats the best form of theft prevention, and is there a product specifically designed for the wrx that anyone recomends? Ive only got the factory alarm on it plus i just bought a club for now, till i find the right system for me. Its an 04 wagon but i imagine that dosnt matter. Any info and opinions would be nice, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
One way is to not show off ANYTHING that you have. Stay on the hush about what you have in your car. Don't post pictures of your car everywhere, etc.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
LoJack is one of the better systems, but I think it's sort of expensive.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
One way is to not show off ANYTHING that you have. Stay on the hush about what you have in your car. Don't post pictures of your car everywhere, etc.

Thats a tough one, even though i havent done too much to it yet, its hard not to show it off, lol. I do try to park it inside when i can but thats not always an option, especially since its now my only car, i cant just leave it at home in the garage.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
LoJack is one of the better systems, but I think it's sort of expensive.
OK, thanks, i'll google Lojack, they should have a website, right?

Someone told me a fuel cut is good, any thoughts?
post #6 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maxim is an unknown
I have this on my Audi, a ecu reflash that gave me 91 octane setting, 93 octane setting, race fuel, stock and like an immobilizer to use so the car cannot be started. And lojack is probably the best way to go, but they deal more with recovery then theft prevention. If you car gets stolen they can catch whoever did it 2 blocks away.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The Cobb AP has a feature similar to also. I also have LoJack, mine was $1200 installed. Then just called the center to have it activated under my name. Praying I never need LoJack.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 26 Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

habitatxskat is an unknown
go ap so you can use the anti theft map.. the car can not start..
post #9 of 26 Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
You would have to change your map every time you get out of your car, and every time you get into it. I'm paranoid enough to where I've thought about doing this, but that would be such a pain. Plus I have a V1 AP, so it takes me like 7 or 8 minutes to reflash. No way.
I'd say one of the easiest things to do is tap a fuel pump wire and run a hidden whip to a kill switch anywhere you want. Glove box, under your seat, ash tray. This wouldn't prevent it from being stolen, but it won't make it far. That's been my plan for a while.

Before you worry about any of this stuff, I'd upgrade the alarm. I spent $600, and I got a clifford alarm with a backup siren and a glass break sensor. The backup siren is awesome because it senses if the power is diconnected from the alarm, and it runs on an internal battery. Supposedly that flashing LED is most effective deterant. Most guys would rather jack a car without any strings attatched.

Another great theft deterant for your stero: Glue razor blades around the inside of the stero compartment. My mom knew a guy that had his stereo ripped off 3 times in like a couple months. He did this little DIY and Viola! He came out to a pool of blood and a half removed stero the next week.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #10 of 26 Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
You would have to change your map every time you get out of your car, and every time you get into it. I'm paranoid enough to where I've thought about doing this, but that would be such a pain. Plus I have a V1 AP, so it takes me like 7 or 8 minutes to reflash. No way.
I'd say one of the easiest things to do is tap a fuel pump wire and run a hidden whip to a kill switch anywhere you want. Glove box, under your seat, ash tray. This wouldn't prevent it from being stolen, but it won't make it far. That's been my plan for a while.

Before you worry about any of this stuff, I'd upgrade the alarm. I spent $600, and I got a clifford alarm with a backup siren and a glass break sensor. The backup siren is awesome because it senses if the power is diconnected from the alarm, and it runs on an internal battery. Supposedly that flashing LED is most effective deterant. Most guys would rather jack a car without any strings attatched.

Another great theft deterant for your stero: Glue razor blades around the inside of the stero compartment. My mom knew a guy that had his stereo ripped off 3 times in like a couple months. He did this little DIY and Viola! He came out to a pool of blood and a half removed stero the next week.
I'd rather loose 3 radios, than have to clean up a pool of blood in my car ,that some possible junkie(ie DIRtY DIRtY BLooD) just deposited in my car. EeeeWwwww!!!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
post #11 of 26 Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Man, I know the person is trying to steal something from your car, but I'm sure this day in age it's possible to sue the owner of the car for something like that. Gotta be careful, but that's funny as hell

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 26 Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
How about one of those quick release steering wheels and just disconnect it and take it with you? I knew a friend of mine that was from Cali (where every car seems to get stolen) and it never got broken into.

Although you might look a little ghetto-fied walking around with a steering wheel.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #13 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
How about one of those quick release steering wheels and just disconnect it and take it with you? I knew a friend of mine that was from Cali (where every car seems to get stolen) and it never got broken into.

Although you might look a little ghetto-fied walking around with a steering wheel.
To avoid the ghett-fide look,Just wear a racing uni & if someone asks, tell them you are an F-1 driver & you can't find the pit.

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
post #14 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

WazzuWRX is an unknown
Lo-Jack also lowers your insurance premium!
post #15 of 26 Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
^^^For the most part that is true. My insurance (State Farm) didnt at first, but eventually they did.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement