Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tail Light Requirements

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wrx1456 
#1 ·
Dear Dealership OMGWTF.

So question to all: I have a 2012 WRX. When I purchased my car I had them include the OEM spoiler for the STI and it's installation. Now during installation they are claiming that I have an issue because I'm removing the 3rd rear brake light and left with only two. I believed them until!: I looked at the 2011/12 WRX STI Sedan and it has only 2 rear brake lights. So I used the good old google machine and found this:

PA STATE: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_e.pdf

FEDERAL: Lamps and reflective devices. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

So I called and said, "only 2 lights are required, one on each side, a certain height above the ground etc." They told me, ya.... it's a grey area because if the car comes with 2 tail lights its ok but if it comes with 3 tail lights you can NEVER have less than that. That would be illegal.

I have browsed State and Federal requirements for a bit now and NOWHERE does it say that. Am I crazy? Help ###! Or is there a link to a section stating that?

Thank you for any/all help,
Thepants

See less See more
#3 ·
^Agree, I got pulled over for a lamp being out the other week and the officer said he wasn't concerned at all that my tails were blacked out, the only issue was one wasn't working.

and also, each cop has their major rules to follow, than the rules they enforce due to ordinance(if they care to even bother with it)

.................GL...............................CHEERS!!!

#4 ·
It just depends on the officer, the area, and if the officer is in a bad mood or not. Piss off your officer that has you pulled over and watch them pull a magical ticket out of the hat. My best friend is a officer....

#5 ·
every state is different. La RS:32:306 says at least two required. but i do know some who pull over for having the 3rd light out. But thats not legal. Having a light out is not something most ticket for, but it is a probable cause to pull someone over if you suspect them of other things.

#7 ·
Yeah, that's nothing new that I haven't heard from my friend a million times. Give them a reason to pull you over for a in plain sight search if they think you're suspicious. Which they'll do that when they are explaining the warning for the light that is out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.