Stock triple guages and...oil changes - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Stock triple guages and...oil changes

Well I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here it goes....So I admit to being lazy and not doing my own oil changes until today. I decided its time to start putting synthetic oil in and chose Mobil 1 and chose to do it myself because its a hell of alot cheaper and you dont have some jiffy lube douscher touching your baby. Well, I went to do this "simple" oil change and it turned out to be a learning experience. If you have subaru's triple gauge package option on your car, which I do, the temp gauge is actually oil temp, not coolant temp as I previously thought. There is a temp sensor that is integrated into the oil drain plug, which I also did not know of. The bolt for the drain plug/sensor is 27 mm size (huge) and it needs to be an open wrench so the sensor lead can be disconnected and lead through. A socket wont work. I just wanted to put this out there for someone who may come by and learn this stuff BEFORE doing it. It will save you a trip

12.7 @ 109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-30-2009, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would think twice if you're using Mobil 1 5w-30. I hear that it thins to a 20 weight over a short period of time, and many have had problems that went away after switching oils. Try a heavier weight or switch to another oil in 3k miles. If you insist on using that oil, at least have a UOA done. Well worth $20 or so.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I've heard nothing but good things about mobil 1 oil. What kind of problems are you hearing about?

12.7 @ 109
post #4 of 15 Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
ive been using mobil 1 for 15k+ miles with no problems
post #5 of 15 Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
For those of you who don't have the oil temp sensor on your drain plug and change your own oil, I'd highly recommend getting one of these: FumotoValve.com - Engine Oil Drain Valve - the bast way to change oil

They make oil changes so much easier and less messy.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
and make sure you replace your oil filter!

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
post #7 of 15 Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Yep, of course. I said "less messy," not "completely mess-free." There's really no way to get around the oil leakage when you remove the old oil filter - I just try to lift the drain pan off the ground and get it as close as I can when I take it off, but the fumoto valve is super convenient.

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 15 Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
This reminds me, I need a new drain pan. The pressure valve or whatever you call it, is like the size of a pinhole. The oil backs up and overflows everytime. It sucks, and oil changes usually end in me dowsing the driveway in soap and spending 20 minutes hosing it down.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fortunately for me, I have access to a garage with a painted floor, so my tiny oil spils and other messes are easy to clean up.

On a side note, I just ordered a 6 pack of those new blue Subaru oil filters from Fred Beans Parts Home Page with crush washers (which I don't need, but I don't think I had the option to order the filters without the washers) for $29.95 + shipping. Anybody find them cheaper anywhere else? I hope not

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
I would think twice if you're using Mobil 1 5w-30. I hear that it thins to a 20 weight over a short period of time, and many have had problems that went away after switching oils. Try a heavier weight or switch to another oil in 3k miles. If you insist on using that oil, at least have a UOA done. Well worth $20 or so.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or is it a fairytale. My car feels smoother by the way, after the switch from conventional to synthetic. Lower operating temps. I'm stoked on it. No more Jiffy Lube for me EVER. I was suprised to see how small the oil filter was. Which I also got a Mobil 1 filter...

12.7 @ 109
post #11 of 15 Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
My tuner asked me what oil I used before he flashed me to stage 2. I told him Royal Purple, he was like good because if you used Mobil 1 he was going to give me a warning about using that oil. I didn't ask him the details about it though. I know ive been using royal purple since 15000 miles on the car. It now has 34000.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #12 of 15 Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

I kept the stock oil from the factory in my engine only for the break in period (0 to 3,000 miles). Then I used Redline from 3,000 to 21,000 miles. Then I switched to Royal Purple at 21,000 miles and I'm just about to hit 34,000 too. I don't plan to switch again any time soon. Royal Purple makes good stuff.

John
07 WRX
post #13 of 15 Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i used mobil 1 for nearly 60000 miles and havent had one problem.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

1sxysubi is an unknown
I just put Mobile 1 in yesterday. Can hear it running smoother... Any one else hear any bad things????
post #15 of 15 Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
ran mobile 1 in my rsx for 2 years and am running it my wrx now with no problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement