STI Wing - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
First of all, where are you going 100mph? Second of all, the damn truck weighs close to 60lbs anyway. Even if that's true, a 60lb weight in the trunk would be just about as effective and with less drag (at any speed).

It is not COMPLETELY useless, just PRACTICALLY useless.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I was just trying to say that it serves a purpose, if anybody is to go at those speeds. geez.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#18 Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
First of all, where are you going 100mph? Second of all, the damn truck weighs close to 60lbs anyway. Even if that's true, a 60lb weight in the trunk would be just about as effective and with less drag (at any speed).

It is not COMPLETELY useless, just PRACTICALLY useless.
Well, I go over 100 mph on a regular basis at the local drag strip and feel quite stable at those speeds and plan on going to VIR soon to race my car against my buddies modded Z28. Weight in the trunk wouldn't be helping you much at low speeds now would it... If you think the wing in practically useless you should take into fact ALL the other shit on a STi thats different from the wrx....the big brembos, the bbs's, the 6 speed tranny, the bigger hoodscoop and intercooler....ALL OF IT is practically useless...meaning its not going to do shit for you if you drive a STi like a soccermom, but its gonna make a difference if you drive the car like its meant to be driven...raced. Why buy a STi for practicality. Thats definatley not their strongpoint, other than having four doors. I cant even put my damn rear seats down for my new rod that doesnt break down.

12.7 @ 109
#19 Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It serves a purpose at 55mph+. Ok, so...lets debate the facts here. The 06-07 added a diffuser/roof vane to increase the downforce. Because without it the STI had considerable less downforce than a evo. Just look up the caranddriver reviews on the new 06 model and section of the article where they discuss the improvements over the 05 model. R&D was put into this.

To say its practically useless is ignorantly denying the fact that it was researched and added for a reason. Especially if someone declares that all wings and spoilers are junk. Pro drift, pro drag, indy cars, F1, rally, and nascar all run some type of wing or spoiler. Billions of dollars are pissed away every year on what makes the car faster and handle better. If a spoiler or wing was a hinderance...none of these professional sports that involve cars would use a spoiler or a wing. I'm freaking tired of hearing about it.

Yes...slapping a pos wing on a car that it isn't designed for isn't entirely a good idea. But to just slam the whole notion of having a wing or spoiler. That's just blind ignorance. End of story.
#20 Old 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Bravo, turmic. Bravo. I think everything has been put on the table regarding the STi park bench spoiler and these types of arguments should be laid to rest. From here on out, I only want to read about people who want to do trunk swaps and have basic questions about it. If you have an opinion about it one way or the other, please don't share it.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#21 Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Well, I think we should argue about it some more

12.7 @ 109
#22 Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
my spoiler is better than yours

#23 Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Please keep debates civil. A lot of the arguments on BOTH sides are well supported. If the arguments get any more aggressive toward one another, I will lock this thread. I'd rather not since a lot can be taken from this thread.

Remember, we're all friends here. We're trying to proof a point to each other to better all of our knowledge.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#24 Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Well said Vew! Cheers mate!

2005 WRX
Borla XR-1 CBE Best Purchase so far

"Wax on wax off"
#25 Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

2JZ GTE is an unknown
LoL! You guys crack me up. This reminds me of back in the day when everyone on the Supra Forums would argue about the functionality vs. the look of the stock wing or to go wingless. Didn't mean to get all that started, but it seem like it was all in good fun though. Thanks for the replies. I am actually thinking of just buying a PSM STi trunk lid w/ STi wing so if I want to go back to wingless I can do so quickly and sell one or the other. Anyone know of someone wanting to sell an STi trunk w/ wing???
#26 Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
Remember, we're all friends here. We're trying to proof a point to each other to better all of our knowledge.
I thought we were all family?

Thought id lighten the mood by last comment.

#27 Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I know.. no hard feelings. I was a little out of line. I like the STi spoiler too

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)