STi Styling on Standard WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

footbkosec20 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to footbkosec20
STi Styling on Standard WRX

Hello all. I would like to get some opinions on the STi styling. I have an 04 WRX that I love, however I feel the car can look much meaner with some of the STi stylings, i.e. hood scoop, corner splitters, rear wing etc. Is it offensive to actual STi owners to have this "false advertisement" such as the grille badge on the standard WRX? Granted, I have always wanted an STi but couldn't afford the extra 4 or 5 grand for it. So I decided to purchase the WRX instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my rex, but I would just like to give her a makeover.

Just to be clear, I am not questioning the functionality of any of these exterior mods as most of them are cosmetic and will play no real factor in the cars performance when compared to the exterior of the WRX. I am just looking for opinions of how this situation is seen by STi owners and other WRX owners.

Any and all opinions are useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The only STi pieces I have on my 07 WRX are an STi V-Limited replica front lip and a stock STi hood scoop splitter.

My feeling is that it's ok to put STi parts on your WRX as long as you don't put any STi badges on it. Personally, I think it's wrong to advertise a WRX as an STi. Even if an STi engine and complete drivetrain were swapped into a WRX, it's still not an STi and shouldn't be advertised as such. That's my feeling anyway.

I think it's bad enough when people put STi wings on WRXs because I get all excited when I see one in the distance, but then I get a little disappointed when I get closer and realize it's just a WRX... even though it's a good look for the car, it sort of ruins it for me.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The planner the car the better. Just my a two pennies. I dont even like the "park bench" on an actual STI. But again, thats my feelings. Its your car, if you like it, do it, thats all that truely matters.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
The planner the car the better. Just my a two pennies. I dont even like the "park bench" on an actual STI. But again, thats my feelings. Its your car, if you like it, do it, thats all that truely matters.
The wing is quite large. I could imagine in being in the way when trying to see out the back ha.
#5 Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The wing is large and heavy. If you do go thru with it, make sure to get the STI hood dampers, or struts, or whatever they are called, that help open the trunk.

I just happen to be a huge fan of the sleeper look. Im running a 20G on my car (roughly 330AWHP) and it only looks like I have rims and tint on my car --surprise

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
+1 to the sleeper look. I wouldnt think twice if i saw your car how it sits.haha

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#7 Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Agreed... Saw a bugeye yesterday with an STi badge on the front grille and I'm like wow he got one from Japan! Not.

I don't like the STi poser look. I'm proud of my WRX, even though I did debadge it so I look a bit less obvious. Nice to have a civic think you're a standard Impreza and then see your front end.

-Chris
#8 Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

The STi badge on the bugeye is a little much. I dont think i would go as far as to put the badges on my rex or the wing (a little HUGE for me). However, i do like the front lip and corner splitters for the STi. I also might consider the STi scoop as i will be sticking with the TMIC and will need to jam as much air in there as possible.
#9 Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 PM

The several parts you just mentioned are fine. Almost functional some will debate. Thats one of the things Im jealous about on the 02-05 WRXs, you guys can swap out for STI scoop. But again the parts are just parts, its your car, just dont try and be something you arent. And most of all enjoy the ride.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 03-14-2010, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
As long as you're not badgeing it something it's not. I don't think most people would mind. But with your suggested upgrades its not really advertising anything other than the parts.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would like to have the wider fenders like the new STi... They make the car look 100 times meaner than the wrx... It does allow me to be a bit of a sleeper to the layperson, however, especially if I hit 300 whp in a few weeks.

-Chris
#12 Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Well I do have the front splitters and the V-Limited lip spoiler on my 05. I also have an STi cat back and TMIC but with the WRX scoop. I deslike the STi side skirts so I stuck with mine and I have the WRX wing, which I would've loved not to have there but I guess I'd rather have that instead of a few holes on my trunk lid. Speaking about trunk lids, I happen to have an STi Spec C Type RA badge on it (my wife bought it for me cause RAC are my initials (awe! cute!)... I just put a sticker on top of it that reads NOT!...

Something STi-ish that I'd love to have is the 06-07 Limited rear Spoiler, those look nice...

Last edited by fuapiti; 03-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.
#13 Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Put a Ferrari badge on it if you want, it doesn't make you inferior IMHO, just silly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

I have seen a lot of GT-R Altima's.... Very rare production.

Could be the same one I keep seeing over and over. Couple of 350Z GT-R's as well.

-Chris
#15 Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ha I might as well have the first GT-R Ferrari edition WRX as far as badges go.