Sti scoop install - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
Sti scoop install

hey so i was just about to put a sti scoop on my wrx, and i was wondering what you guys would do.

there is the metal piece under the scoop which flows air into the intercooler, with the notched out spot going to the turbo,
1, I could just cut the part out that fit under the small scoop so that more air flows into the intercooler from the bigger scoop
2. i could cut the sides out from this part and bend it up more so that it still is somewhat directing the air
3. i could just leave the metal peice out completely. and i think they have other ones you can buy to do this anyways.
4. i could leave it the way it is.

has anyone done this on their 02/03 before and what did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think maybe what you're thinking of is a hood scoop splitter - basically a piece of metal that diverts some air to the front part of your tmic so not all the incoming air is hitting the back. Long story short, it makes your tmic perform more efficiently. There are write-ups about how to make one yourself and I think there are also some prefabricated pieces on the market - maybe even specific to your application.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
#4 Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah i'm thinking it wouldn't be hard to modify mine to make it work. just cut it bend the metal higher. maybe even put a piece of metal half way so the lower air goes to the front, not that it really matters i am running stock intercooler. i could probably just leave it off and be fine aha
#5 Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, an air splitter would benefit even a stock tmic. It has to do with the fact that when you're driving, most of the air coming in the scoop hits the top half (closest to the firewall) of the intercooler and the bottom half (closest to the front of the car) barely gets any air. By diverting some air toward the front, the tmic would be able to cool air more efficiently and, ultimately, improve power a little. It's a pretty good concept and testing has shown it works - regardless if you buy a pre-fabbed piece or do a diy mod.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah it looks like that one you showed has 3 pieces splitting it. i'll have to get some thin metal of some sort and i'll just do some nice rivetting work haha.