Subaru WRX Forum banner

Speakers...Is it worth it?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  wrx1313 
#1 ·
I've been researching sound systems for my gorgeous new 06 WRX and have read numerous posts of people having trouble installing 5.25" in the rear. With those of you who have the knowledge or experience, is it worth going through the trouble of trying to get 5.25" coax in the rear? Is the 4" a more logical solution? iaperformance.com has some adapters they claim will work on an 06 rex install...What has worked for everyone in the past?

One more question. I found some Polk db series (6.5" 6500 components and 4" 400 coax for the rear) and was thinking of buying them (with a 4 channel amp and RF Punch amp of course). What do you all think of this set? Is there something for the money that would be better?

#2 ·
Polk makes good stuff, personally I'd go with the 4" rears and save the install trouble, and add a sub to make up for what the new speakers lack in punch.

I'd also go for a new head unit to push the speakers, a 4 channel amp is nice but will prob put out more than what the tiny 4 inchers can handle, If you can find a head unit with a strong enough internal amp, you could bypass the trouble of adding a 4 channel amp, and put in just the head unit, speakers, and sub. I know Panasonic makes a reciever with 31 watts x 4 RMS which would pack one heck of a punch.

If you've got the $ then I'd for for front and rear component systems, Fosgate makes a nice component system, as does polk.

#9 ·
I'm using 6.5" Polk Momo component set in the front with a Polk 4 channel Amp and no rear speakers. It sound clean and it's loud. Also have a Basslink 2 in the trunk. PPL in the backseat can still hear the music even with the windows down. Just my 2 cents. I hope that helps.

#12 ·
What do you guys think of this...

Polk db6500 6.5" components in front
Polk db400 4" coax in the rear
MTX 12" sub @ 200 w rms (don't really want to shake the car with my bass)
eclipse 4 channel amp - 75 x 4 w rms

Power up the front components on a separate channel each, then bridge two channels to pump 150 w rms to the sub. Use my head unit (33 w rms x 4; 50 x 4 peak) to power the 4" rears.

I think I should have a pretty good set-up after this. thoughts? suggestions?

#13 ·
eTrain07 said:
What do you guys think of this...

Polk db6500 6.5" components in front
Polk db400 4" coax in the rear
MTX 12" sub @ 200 w rms (don't really want to shake the car with my bass)
eclipse 4 channel amp - 75 x 4 w rms

Power up the front components on a separate channel each, then bridge two channels to pump 150 w rms to the sub. Use my head unit (33 w rms x 4; 50 x 4 peak) to power the 4" rears.

I think I should have a pretty good set-up after this. thoughts? suggestions?
Those are the polk speakers I have.. they sound very nice... :sneaky:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.