Speaker configuration - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Speaker configuration

I recently took the front door card off to make another repair and I was horrified to see the crappy speakers Subaru gave me!:eek: No wonder this is the worst stock stereo I've ever heard. So I started to look for direct fit replacement speakers. My question is this...

Most replacement speakers are 2-way or 3-way. I assume the 2-way means bass/mid and a tweeter and 3-way means a mid cone+a bass cone+a tweeter cone. If I want a direct replacement in the front speaker shouldn't it just have a bass and a mid since the tweeter is separate?

Should I get a 3-way in the front and unplug the stock tweeter? I like the idea of a separate tweeter and I would like to keep it.

Will the signal coming from the head unit send a 3-way signal to the speaker or will it just be mid and bass making the tweeter on the speaker useless?

I haven't seen the rear speakers yet are they 3-way since I see no separate tweeter? Is there a 3-way signal going to them?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
You can go either way. You wouldn't need to disconnect the tweet if you installed a 3way. Its more of a personal preference.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Pioneer TS-A1305C 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com FRONT
Pioneer TS-G1044R 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com REAR

This is what I'm looking at getting. Does the stock front setup have a crossover? Where is it? should I remove it? Can I plug in the new crossover into where the stock crossover was if it has one?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Those 5-1/4's will do just fine... The tweeter will have a capacitor on it (should). And the 5-1/4 does look like they have passive crossovers... not sure about that since I've always had a real crossover (depending on your music pref).

Are you thinking of running these speakers off the stock HU power>???

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yes,I'm poor and old (still have CDs) I use the cassette player for an MP3 adapter.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I'm not a fan of using factory 5.25" F and 4" R. Personally, I installed a component 6.5" system using provided brackets in my front doors. I gutted the factory tweeter and managed to fit the new one in the factory location with pretty much no room to spare. I then mounted the crossovers in the lower right portion of the door. I can't remember if I had to trim the metal on the door. I probably did. I also had to cut out the Styrofoam on the door card to clear the crossovers. Both the tweeter and crossovers had to be mounted with custom brackets. Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to take photos.

You can actually fit 6.5" coaxial (two way) in the rear if you trim a LOT of material. I used an air saw. It barely fit. I had to trim the plastic off the tweeter so the door card would sit flush. Is it worth putting a two way or such large speakers in? No, I don't think so. The location of the factory rear speakers are very poor. No matter what you do, it's going to sound like shit back there from the drivers perspective. This was my part time job at Best Buy, so I got the speakers for cheap and had plenty of down time to see what I could fit back there.

Rear door of a 2004 WRX. Outline to fit 6.5" Infinity Reference 2-way speakers.

Name:  CIMG5174.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  121.9 KB

Speakers installed after door cutting and water "proofing" with dynamat. Photo was taken before I realized I had to trim the tweeter.

Name:  CIMG5175.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  125.3 KB

Edit:

I just re-read your post. I should probably explain more. If what you mean by 3-way is separate base, mid, and tweeter speaker, I am unsure if you can fit oval type speakers in our doors. You may, but I personally have no experience with them. AFAIK, most people stick to component (separate tweeter) or coaxial (two way). If you go the separate tweeter route and you have factory tweeters (again, I'm pulling from fuzzy memory), I believe you have to gut part of the speaker wire. I think Subaru does it differently than aftermarket. You need the full signal which goes to a passive crossover. In this box, it filters the signals and sends a set to the tweeter and the other to the speaker (mid/base). That means you have to trace the wires far enough back to find where Subaru does its split. Hopefully, someone that's done this more recently than I have can chime in.

As for coaxial, the "crossover" is built in. No box needs to be mounted (not provided) and the wires from the HU just go to the speaker itself. Obviously, components will sound better than coaxial. But it also has a lot to do with tweeter location. Factory location of the tweeter is OK - not great.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Pioneer ASeries 4" x 6" 3Way Car Speakers with Carbon Graphite IMPP Cones Pair TS-A4674R - Best Buy

This is what I mean by 3-way speakers. This is just an example, it shows a woofer,tweeter and a mid on the same speaker. I'm not thinking about putting these in. It's just to show you what I'm talking about.

Sorry,I don't feel like cutting anything (sheet metal) . I'm looking for a quick and easy plug and play fix.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Vew

For the fronts, I'm fairly certain you don't need to cut. All you need are spacers.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #9 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Unless It's easy to get at I doubt I will find Subaru's split. Does this mean, if I hook up the passive crossover that comes with the speakers to the wires that come from the head unit to the stock speakers it will make the passive crossover useless?

Should I forget about the crossover that comes with the speakers I'm looking at?

post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Vew

Here, look at this first post. It's really easy to get to.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...iy-96931.html?

It depends how much you care about sound quality. Mine is amp'ed so I can defiantly hear a difference. If you're just using the HU built in amp, you will notice less of a difference.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Oh,WOW!! That answers all my questions in one WHACK! Thank you very much! I bow down to your greatness!!!